Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Removing concrete bump.

Hello,

First time home owner, first time poster. In my new house, there has been a concrete bump added to the garage to level out the garage door (apparently). Unfortunately, the garage door isn't level and may bind a touch. More importantly to me, its an eyesore, and I want it gone. My only concern is how can I remove a 3 inch bump on top of the concrete garage floor without damaging the garage floor underneath. Can i safely sledge hammer away to get it out, or do I need to do something different to keep from wrecking the garage floor. Do I need to try and use a chisel to seperate it from the floor? Won't that likely peel up the top floor covering?

brsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Removing concrete bump.

are you sure it is not put there to prevent water from running into the garage? If the builder screwed up and did not run the floor at a downgrade towards the door and taper the apron downward even more, this may have been cobbled in to prevent water from entering the garage.

anyway, what you can do to remove it depends on how or if it is bonded to the floor. I would suggest trying to chip away part of it near the side of the door so if you do damage the underlying floor, it will not be right out in the middle of things to see.

Last edited by nap; 09-13-2009 at 12:16 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:22 AM   #3

Removing concrete bump.

Something is that far out to need a 3" correction - wow...
A picture would help.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Removing concrete bump.

I had that at the last house I owned. I put up with it. My bump was definitely intended to prevent water coming in. When I regraded and repaved the driveway, I thought it wouldn't have been needed. And it wasn't for the most part. But Hurricane Floyd changed that thinking. So I left it in place and lived with it.

My neighbor had the same issue, as our houses are similar. He installed a trench grate along the garage opening, and had the drain run out to a low spot. Looked absolutely beautiful. His idea worked well, too, until Floyd came along. We both got flooded. But if I had my druthers, I'd have picked the trench grate, not the bump.

As stated, post a couple pics. I wish I kept pics of mine.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #5

Removing concrete bump.

I used to have water come in under the garage door when it rained, especially so if the wind was from the right direction. I installed one of these a few years ago - problem completely fixed.

http://www.amazon.com/Tsunami-Seal%C...ef=pd_sim_hi_1
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote