DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Removing cement walls in basement / replacing with I beam

19K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  joasis 
#1 ·
I want to remove the cement walls in the basement and replace it with an I beam that runs the distance of the basement. Someone told me it couldn't be done or shouldn't be done. After he left, I looked at it and I have plenty of room to put the beam and have the same head clearance that I have now. I want to open up the basement. My questions are could I do this, should I do this, and how much does that usually cost or can I attempt to do it myself? I am in Michigan if it makes any difference at all.

#3 ·
For safetys sake (and piece of mind) you will probably need to have an engineer look at it and figure what size beam and how many supports it would take to hold up the house. I would not consider this a DIY project. Consider the equipment and manpower it would take to get the beam in place.

#5 ·
Here is another take on the issue. A concrete or block wall is distributing the weight across the area you wish to place a beam. Now while the weight of the house is not insurmountable, as far as placing the beam, you have to consider if there is sufficient support when the weight is transferred from the footing to piers.

An experienced contractor, and I don't mean just maybe, can give you a preliminary idea of expense and feasability. If you can find an engineer in your area (building engineer), it may be worth the fee to have him look. Be prepared for a lot of head shaking.

#7 ·
this is only a one story house with basement. The beam would ahve to go roughly 30 to 35 ft. the wals are pretty structurally good. And I believe the house was built in the 50's but I am not sure. I know I have taken a lot of weight out of the house by removing plaster walls and redoing them with drywall because we opened up some spaces and closed others and jsut other general remodeling. Do you have any idea or even a very rough estimate on the cost to have someone do it.

#10 ·
Drilling a hole in the footing area / floor will determine depth, and overall condition will suffice. Actually drilling a core sample would be great, but what exactly will you use for a comparison? Aged concrete is notorious for being harder then a woodpecker's lips, and may break with a strength of 10,000 psi, but may shatter under a load also. The overall condition of the concrete, depth where the lally collumns would be placed, and weight supported will determine if this is feasable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.