DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Removing cement stairs for future deck

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Mort 
#1 ·
Hi all,

As you can see in the attached picture, we have two cement stair (only 3 steps) cases that lead up from the back yard into a set of french doors (pictured) and the same on the opposite side (view blocked by exterior wall).

We would really like to build a small deck that is level with the floor of the house and then steps down onto the lawn, but these cement steps are in the way.

One option is to build the deck flush with the cement landing, but I think that would look funny. True we could stain the cement but still would not look as good as a complete deck.

I have thought about renting a jackhammer and removing the first step from each of the stairs, but I am concerned about cracking the walls or perimeter foundation. Anyone have advice? Should I be worried about damage caused by jack hammering the top step?

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
No snow where you are?
I always like steps & decks down a little from the house
Here with snow we need 6" or more - so a step down

Do you know if the steps are solid concrete?
Were they poured as part of the house, or is it a separate piece?
I've seen some that are hollow - pre-cast.
My sledge broke them up

Do the stairs go all the way to the inside courtyard corner of the house?
If so I'd just deck between the stairs

#4 ·
No snow here.
I don't know if they are solid or hollow.
I can not tell if they were poured with the foundation or as a separate piece.

On one side they go all the way to the corner of the courtyard. On the other side, that you can not see, they do not go to the corner.

I could do a deck that lies on top of the second step, but I still think it would look better if the deck was flush with the door sill.

Thanks.

#6 ·
Use a big grinder and cutting disc. Make a cut from the top and then from the side and use a hammer and chisel to break the section out. Repeat until you are finished. Dusty and noisy but no impact from a jack hammer. Dorf Dude...

#7 ·
Steps are usually poured at the same time as the driveway, i.e. not part of the foundation. I would venture a guess that, because they are relatively small and above grade, that they are solid concrete. That doesn't mean the contractor didn't try to put something in there, though. I've seen them put a bail of hay in larger porches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.