Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing bearing wall and putting up a beam

Hi, I need some advice for removing part of the load bearing wall that separates my kitchen from the living room. Attached are some pics that will maybe help to explain it all. In the pic1, is the bearing wall at the moment, & the proposed new opening will be 12'. The pics2, is showing the floor joist support in the basement in conjunction to the current bearing wall. The pic3, shows the bearing wall view in the attic. Pic4, shows in the attic the initial part of the actual bearing wall.
My preference is to use two 2"X10"X12' nailed together for the beam, unless it is better to use 2"X12"'s instead. Either way, the beam will not rest exact with the support column in the basement. My question is this - since the original bearing wall removal is only 4', does the beam need to rest exact or can it support without? I just want to make sure that I do not need to adjust my beam size to 14' so that it can match the support columns in the basement.
The last question is - how many 2x4's will be sufficient to support the end beam given the width of my desired opening?
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Removing bearing wall and putting up a beam-pic1.jpg   Removing bearing wall and putting up a beam-pic2.jpg   Removing bearing wall and putting up a beam-pic3.jpg   Removing bearing wall and putting up a beam-pic4.jpg   Removing bearing wall and putting up a beam-pic5.jpg  

Sardinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardinia View Post
Hi, I need some advice for removing part of the load bearing wall that separates my kitchen from the living room. Attached are some pics that will maybe help to explain it all. In the pic1, is the bearing wall at the moment, & the proposed new opening will be 12'. The pics2, is showing the floor joist support in the basement in conjunction to the current bearing wall. The pic3, shows the bearing wall view in the attic. Pic4, shows in the attic the initial part of the actual bearing wall.
My preference is to use two 2"X10"X12' nailed together for the beam, unless it is better to use 2"X12"'s instead. Either way, the beam will not rest exact with the support column in the basement. My question is this - since the original bearing wall removal is only 4', does the beam need to rest exact or can it support without? I just want to make sure that I do not need to adjust my beam size to 14' so that it can match the support columns in the basement.
The last question is - how many 2x4's will be sufficient to support the end beam given the width of my desired opening?
Thank you
Call your building inspector and ask him/her since you will need permits and inspections to do this.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Looks to me like that window is in the inside corner of two exterior walls. Of course it can be done, but as Joe says, get the inspector in.
What is the vertical 2x4 doing on top of the strong back in the attic?
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote