Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing 1/2 wall

Thinking of removing a half wall in my 80's era ranch style house. This wall divides the kitchen and dining room from the family room.

1. From the attached pictures what are the pros and cons? Will it be too open?

2. What type of threshold is there to put in? Im concerned on the width of the peice that goes where the floor meets the carpet? It looks like it will need to be 6-8 inches wide?

3. I will do away with the gawdy blue desk.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing 1/2 wall-house-001.jpg   Removing 1/2 wall-house-002.jpg   Removing 1/2 wall-house-003.jpg  

operator17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,208

Removing 1/2 wall

I see no problem with removing it. It would definitely open it up, so it does not seem so closed off from the Living Room area. As for the floor, yes you will have a gap where the wall was on the floor, but do you plan on putting down new carpet, or wood flooring in the space when you tear down the wall? You could always place a Island in that area, with a Upper cabinet that has space for bills & telephone in it.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #3

Removing 1/2 wall

Thanks

I do not plan on replacing either floor.

The wood floor is fitted around the desk. I will have to fill in with some left over wood floor where the desk sits. I hope this will not be a major problem.

My concern is what to put where the carpet meets the wood floor. It looks as though 4 inches of carpet will be missing when the wall is removed. This is where Im scratching my head.

Do they make or do something that is about 6-8 inches wide to keep the carpet wood line straight thru the entire opening?

The island is an idea. Are you talking about it being against the adjacent wall or placed where you can walk around it on all sides?
Old 01-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,208

Removing 1/2 wall

Placed against the wall where the fridge is. As for repairing the carpet, do you still have any scraps left, that the carpet guy can "mend" into the existing carpet? The light I would change out and go with a smaller pendent light, or maybe a track type light that uses 12watt halogens. The electric outlet, you could place into the face of the island, or move it to the wall next to the switches.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Removing 1/2 wall

I would cut the carpet at 8" all the way across and put a tack strip along that length to hold it in place. I would then remove the oak strip and make a conversion strip from hardwood to fit in the gap. I assume you're all set to re-locate the electrical outlet in that wall?
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #6

Removing 1/2 wall

If I understand, cut the carpet even all the way across then fill with flooring? I guess the seam of the "fill in" wood would run perpendicular to the other seams in the floor? One electric outlet on either side of the wall. Plan on moving one to the wall where the switches are. The location will depend on where the wire is run and how much fishing will be involved.

Definantley getting rid of the hanging light and will replace with something different.

Thanks for the replys
Old 01-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Removing 1/2 wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by operator17 View Post
If I understand, cut the carpet even all the way across then fill with flooring? I guess the seam of the "fill in" wood would run perpendicular to the other seams in the floor?
That's what I've done before when the customer doesn't want to replace the flooring.
Good luck

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote