Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #1

Share |

removed ceiling, do need ventilation?

Hi--my boys have a room over the garage with it's own attic crawlspace (only accessible from outside, not connected to the rest of the attic). For fun we decided to take down the flat ceiling and incorporate the "attic" space into the room. Can we install the insulation directly between the joists? We're turning the former vent into a window, so there's no ventilation. Is this a problem? Thanks so much for any help!

finchsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Totally screwed together

Is that area heated?

My main concern would be making up the air that you cut off when you walled up that side of the attic.

xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #3

Hi--the room will be like any other room in the house except there will be no attic space above it. It was never connected to the rest of the attic. It only had its own tiny attic, which is now gone. The room is off the main stairway in the house and is heated and air-conditioned with the rest of the house.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #4

Did you by chance, check out the consequences of removing framing material before the fun started?
Some of that wood could have had the responsiblity of keeping the walls from bowing out and the roof joists dropping.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #5

Ron brings up a good point

You took the ceiling joists down ?
The joists that tie the walls together & keep them from spreading out ?
That keeps the roof from collapsing ?
Did you install a ridge beam to support rafters & roof for the new cathedral ceiling ?

Worry about the integrity of the framing before you worry about ventilation
Are you in a snow load area ?
What is the span of the rafters ?
What size are the rafters ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #6

No--we left up the beams that support the walls/roof. We just removed the plaster between the beams. I figured we'd paint them and maybe put up a small loft. Now we're insulating between the roof rafters.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

It's my understanding there should be an air gap between the roof decking and insulation or the decking can "sweat" promoting mold and rot. HD and Lowes sell styrofoam panels for this purpose that are around 3' long and 24" or 16" wide depending on your rafter spacing. Staple them to the roof decking prior to insulating. This is standard procedure at least in this area.....
Old 05-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchsaunders View Post
No--we left up the beams that support the walls/roof. ----- Good!
We just removed the plaster between the beams. I figured we'd paint them and maybe put up a small loft. ------ As you know, now your ventilation changed.
Now we're insulating between the roof rafters.
----- Only if the old rafters can carry the added weight of insulation and drywall which the ceiling joists framing was doing. The rafters may have been rated for your area and their purpose, but not for the added proposed purpose.

You could load the old rafters and have a structural failure, or not. Most times the rafters are 2x4, or 2x6 in an older house because they were ok at the time as long as the ceiling was supported on ceiling joists. The rafters now need to carry the drywall and insulation themselves, alone.
Just furring out the rafters for the required R-value (insulation) may not be possible because of more load from that combined with before mentioned loads.
Adding a small loft needs special attention for the ledger wall attachment, joist span, guard-rails, ladder, etc., to be safe.

Be safe, Gary

Tags
insulation, ventilation