Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #1

Share |

remove sliding door and build in cost?

How much would you guys think it would cost to build in a 69x80 sliding glass door? We want to remove the door and put a wall in its place with a window instead... The window we got estimates of between 200 and 350 for a Gorell vinyl window (new construction, and Gorell because the factory / HQ is in my town and they seem to make good products)... but is this something that can be done in a day? not nessacarly finished off but get the wall up siding up and get a window in... any rough ideas on how much this would run for me to do cost wise? thanks

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #2

6-8 studs...header, 2 sheets sheathing & some drywall+ odds & ends
$32............$20........$45..................... .....$10

So something over $100 + window

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #3

keep the header from the sliding door in place and you *should* not need the window header.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
keep the header from the sliding door in place and you *should* not need the window header.
This is what I did when I replaced a 8' wide sliding door with a window during a recent major remodel. Makes for easy and minimal reframing. Hopefully the top of the door is similar or higher than any other windows in the room, so you don't have to adjust the height or just need to adjust the height of the door opening down to match the other windows.

Think about how you will anchor the new sole plate in place - I was on a concrete slab so drilled holes and glued in anchor bolts, per direction of the building inspector. Also consider any electric to install, move or terminate - such as light switch and exterior light maybe.

Should probably be a 1 day job to get it reframed, window installed, and closed in - final finishing inside and out excluded.

Work in progress pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
remove sliding door and build in cost?-dscn0638.jpg   remove sliding door and build in cost?-dscn0710.jpg   remove sliding door and build in cost?-dscn0712.jpg   remove sliding door and build in cost?-dscn0724.jpg   remove sliding door and build in cost?-dscn0727.jpg  

Last edited by vsheetz; 02-13-2010 at 05:38 PM.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote