Remove And Re-use Stone Veneer - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

remove and re-use stone veneer

To make a long story short, some installers put stone veneer (centurion brand) in the wrong place on my new home. So now they want to remove it and re-use it on the other side of my home.

My question is... will removing and re-using the stones compromise the integrity of the stones? When they remove the stone, will the concrete wall they are removing it from be ugly, or will the mortar come off completely? If it does not come off completely, how would I remove it? If I leave any mortar residue, will that affect being able to re-apply stone veneer in the future?

Advertisement

Cecosugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecosugi View Post
To make a long story short, some installers put stone veneer (centurion brand) in the wrong place on my new home. So now they want to remove it and re-use it on the other side of my home.

My question is... will removing and re-using the stones compromise the integrity of the stones? When they remove the stone, will the concrete wall they are removing it from be ugly, or will the mortar come off completely? If it does not come off completely, how would I remove it? If I leave any mortar residue, will that affect being able to re-apply stone veneer in the future?
If they screwed it up, they should fix it. That includes the substrate it comes off of.
If the work was done very recently, the residue should be able to be removed more easily than an older installation.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #3

I agree, they should fix it, but I wasn't sure how easy it would be. Since it is really new, you have made me feel better about the condition of the wall they are removing it from.

I am also concerned with the re-use of the stone, and what condition it will be in when they remove it. It seems like it would break into small pieces when they remove it.

If I feel like they will damage the stones removing it, I'd rather leave it where it is, and order new stone for the other places it was to go. Of course, that's what they want me to do. Seems like quite a good way to get more business...just put it everywhere and then you get to double your business.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecosugi View Post
I agree, they should fix it, but I wasn't sure how easy it would be. Since it is really new, you have made me feel better about the condition of the wall they are removing it from.

I am also concerned with the re-use of the stone, and what condition it will be in when they remove it. It seems like it would break into small pieces when they remove it.

If I feel like they will damage the stones removing it, I'd rather leave it where it is, and order new stone for the other places it was to go. Of course, that's what they want me to do. Seems like quite a good way to get more business...just put it everywhere and then you get to double your business.

First, I cant imagine the blueprint shows the stone in the correct location & the masons layed it on the wrong walls! There has to be more to this part of the story.

As for the stone, if it doesn't break taking it off, it should be fine long term. Be warned though that the stone could very easily have more "dings & dents", & probably more mortar smears than new. Generally, we try to handle cultured stone as little as possible. If the stone was layed a day or 2 ago, it shouldn't be too complicated.

But, if your going to be paying for all the extra labor, I might recommend leaving it up & simply ordering more new stone.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #5

Well...I did say it was a long story. The company that we hired to do the exterior has a crew that doesn't speak very good English. The company completely agrees that they should not have done that wall. The supervisor of the crew (which speaks the best English of the crew) had confirmed to only come out 6" on the particular area, just the day before. Had they been supervising the crew, or if we had been there that day (instead of at work, what were we thinking?)...it would not have happened. As it turned out, they did a rather long wing wall that we need to lengthen (even more) before putting the stone on. We weren't doing any of the wing walls until they were all lengthened to the proper length for reasonable landscape.

We aren't paying labor to remove it, that's for sure!

Unfortunately, where they are re-using it (the only remaining place they can put it, since they've finished everywhere else) is the most visible wall, and a two-story wall at that! So I don't want it to look all chipped up. In reality, of course, a stone wall is supposed to be irregular. I just don't want it to look like mosaic!
Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Believe it or not, the language barrier scenario did play thru my head!

If your planning to do these walls in the future anyway, I would keep the stone on them, with the exception of the very ends that will be extended, were the stone should probaly be "toothed" to accept the future stone. You may not care for "reclaimed" cultured stone on a visually "strong" wall. JMO, but it's your money, so it's obviuosly not as easy of a decision for you.

Good Luck.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #7

I think that is what my gut was telling me. Thank you, I appreciate your input.

Advertisement