Remove Old Insulation Or Not - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Remove old insulation or not

I would like to add more insulation to my attic and second floor walls (the Sheetrock is still not installed). The house has old 50 year old insulation. Does it make sense to keep the old and put new on top of the old?

Thank you,
Alex

Advertisement

alex333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

if that is the original insulation it is most likely packed with dirt and dust and probably ready to fall apart anyway.I would remove it and add all new.Dont forget your vapor barrier if you use unfaced insulation and wear a mask if it is falling apart it will kick up alot of dust and thats a bit hard on the lungs

Advertisement

Last edited by clasact; 06-14-2008 at 08:08 AM. Reason: grammer
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Usually in doing this, the new insulation is run perpendicular to the existing, but with the age of the existing, it has probably sunk to a level below the top of the joists, so you will just be creating air channels which will permit convection currents and defeat the insulation, so I would remove it. If not you could add a layer of UNFACED material in the bays to bring it flush with the top of the joists, then another layer (UNFACED also) perpendicular as above.

Considering it's age, the existing stuff is probably not worth saving, as suggested by clasact.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Its better to remove the old insultion and install the new one, for safety reasons. www.iconbuildings.com.
bettyobar is offline   Reply With Quote