Remove Old Exterior Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction


CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lenaitch
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 187
Rewards Points: 174
Default

Remove old exterior wall


Recently demo'd a small bathroom that was likely added when an addition was put on the house.

Can anyone tell by looking at the pics if I'd be ok in removing the wall with the door (from bedroom) with partial board/OSB from inside the space.

Want to make sure it's not structural or load bearing. There's one spot that has three 2x4s together that I assume is structural? Would I be OK removing from that spot down to the window?Remove old exterior wall-img_0938.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

tb582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 811
Rewards Points: 1,371
Default

Re: Remove old exterior wall


There is no header over the door at all. So I don't think that wall could bear a load if it tried. But don't take my word for it. I've never taken out a wall.

Advertisement

mathmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 187
Rewards Points: 174
Default

Re: Remove old exterior wall


Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmonger View Post
There is no header over the door at all. So I don't think that wall could bear a load if it tried. But don't take my word for it. I've never taken out a wall.


So thanks but no thanks?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tb582 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 10-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 187
Rewards Points: 174
Default

Re: Remove old exterior wall


Quote:
Originally Posted by tb582 View Post
Recently demo'd a small bathroom that was likely added when an addition was put on the house.

Can anyone tell by looking at the pics if I'd be ok in removing the wall with the door (from bedroom) with partial board/OSB from inside the space.

Want to make sure it's not structural or load bearing. There's one spot that has three 2x4s together that I assume is structural? Would I be OK removing from that spot down to the window?Attachment 312842


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


After reading this article section "Determining Header Type" http://homeguides.sfgate.com/need-he...ing-70152.html

I realized I didn't provide a proper picture of the header and top plates. So here ya go:




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tb582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 811
Rewards Points: 1,371
Default

Re: Remove old exterior wall


You've got it all ripped open. Take a look. What's above that wall? Are there joists for the second floor there? Are the ends of the rafters sitting on top of that wall, putting all the roof weight there? Is there a gable directly above there? Exterior walls do tend to be load bearing.
mathmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 187
Rewards Points: 174
Default

Re: Remove old exterior wall


Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmonger View Post
You've got it all ripped open. Take a look. What's above that wall? Are there joists for the second floor there? Are the ends of the rafters sitting on top of that wall, putting all the roof weight there? Is there a gable directly above there? Exterior walls do tend to be load bearing.


The attic is above that wall. Will take a look and see what I can see.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tb582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 187
Rewards Points: 174
Default

Re: Remove old exterior wall


Removed some more of the drywall - here's some updated pics.... I don't think this wall is loaf bearing anymore; thoughts?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tb582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #8
Usually Confused
 
lenaitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,788
Rewards Points: 1,722
Default

Re: Remove old exterior wall


Well, it appears it's not a load-bearing wall anymore.
Msradell likes this.

Advertisement

lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can i remove Amitabh Building & Construction 0 06-08-2016 06:42 PM
How to remove shower pan? timnancyk Plumbing 17 01-11-2016 03:06 PM
need to refinish me pressure treated deck AND remove cabot SPF - NEED INPUT Kirchf Painting 0 05-27-2015 11:19 AM
Wrong Sealant used on Unfinished Ceramic Tile... how to remove?! flipjarg Flooring 3 02-15-2010 09:09 PM
How can I remove my gutter / apron with out pulling the first row of shingels wamyers92 Roofing/Siding 3 07-02-2008 02:10 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

 

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1