Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #1

Share |

Remove Load Bearing Wall

Hi All, I'm hoping someone here can give me advice on removing a load bearing wall.

Let me start by saying that I *AM* having this done professionally, and that I am *NOT* undertaking the job myself. I had an engineering technician in to look at the job. Assuming that we go forward, he will handle drawings and permits. He is a technician, and not a licensed engineer, but has experience with this sort of job and comes well recommended.

I was blown away by how fast he was in and out, and had numbers for me, and so I am hoping that someone with experience can tell me if his numbers make sense.

The wall being removed is in my basement, and my house is a single storey.

The span is 26 feet and supports 11 foot joists on either side. He plans for a steel beam, W250x33, with a column for support on one end (excavating the basement floor and pouring a new footer), and pocketed on top of my block foundation on the other end. No center supports.

I was hoping that someone here may have the experience to tell me if these numbers make sense, and if this is a suitable beam for the job.

Any help is very much appreciated, and I can respond with any other details.

Mister_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #2

Remove Load Bearing Wall

Have you opened up the wall to see if there is already post and beam support?

Old 11-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #3

Remove Load Bearing Wall

no way to tell by the information you provided.

I'm not familiar with regulations in Canada (I'm guessing with the metric use) but where I am a steel beam requires design/certification by a professional engineer as there is nothing in our building codes to let the building department know if a certain size steel beam will properly support the imposed loads on it.

Maybe some of our Canadian brothers/sisters can advise on professional engineer requirement in Canada.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #4

Remove Load Bearing Wall

If it's 26ft clear span, 11ft joists either side, it could be supporting around 280 sq ft of floor, @ (say) 50psf loading, = 14,000lbs (6+tons), excluding any walls/partitions upstairs.
That's a fair load for that span and beam; deflection might be an issue. But in fairness to your tech. he has seen the situation, I haven't. And if he comes well-recommended..........?.
Does your local building authority check the figures or do they go on his say-so?
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony.g For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Remove Load Bearing Wall

ive done this plenty of times but not torn out walls that long.. you pretty much have to go by what the engineer specs no ifs and or butts. because if you dont #1 your going to fail inspection and #2 your house coiuld collapse
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Remove Load Bearing Wall

Pictures, pictures, pictures. Just talking about it, without any drawings or pictures, does not help the rest of us.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #7

Remove Load Bearing Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.g View Post
If it's 26ft clear span, 11ft joists either side
good catch tony! I read that as 11 floor joists either side ..... where are my glasses again .....

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #8

Remove Load Bearing Wall

He's either an engineer or he's not. If not, hire one.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Davejss For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (11-22-2013), Live_Oak (11-23-2013), woodworkbykirk (11-23-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
"You can do anything"-Mom

Remove Load Bearing Wall

W250x33 is wrong

Can you correct the beam size please?

I'm assuming here but you say your span is 26' so that is how far the beam needs to span? If that is the case it seems to me that a 33# / lf beam would be undersized.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Civil Engineer

Remove Load Bearing Wall

To brokmeira: The OPS has posted the beam size in metric units, not English units. This is perfectly acceptable. The beam presented by the OPS is technically a W250x145x32.7, where the 250 is the nominal depth in mm, the 145 is the nominal width in mm, and the 32.7 is the weight in kg/m. This is roughly equivalent to a W10 x 5.75 x 22 in English units, more commonly written as W10x22.

Whether this beam is adequate is an engineering discussion. Soliciting an opinion as to the structural adequacy of a beam on an online chat forum seems like a poor idea to me. As a registered engineer, I cannot and will not assume the liability associated with offering an opinion on a structural issue to an individual I have never met, will never meet, for a property I have never seen, and will never see. I suspect the other engineers on this forum feel the same.

This leaves individuals who feel they have no liability to offer opinions on the structural adequacy of the beam. Simply put to the OPS, do you really want to trust the integrity of your entire house to a free opinion offered by someone you know nothing about? What could possibly go wrong?
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
cortell (11-23-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #11

Remove Load Bearing Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_E View Post
He is a technician, and not a licensed engineer, but has experience with this sort of job and comes well recommended.
I think the point has been sufficiently expressed, but I'll just add a bit more. There are armys of people that have been screwed by someone who came strongly recommended, and who seems to be experienced. Would you let a nurse perform surgery on you because he came highly recommended and seems very knowledgeable in medicine? Removing a load bearing wall is major surgery. It's not your health, but it's your home, and a structurally unsafe home is a danger to your health. Don't risk it.

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote