Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #1

Share |

Removable Well house construction.

We have just had a new water well drilled. The tank and pump's electrical workings set on a 45" square concrete slab. The tank is approximately 6 feet tall.

I would like to construct a well house that will match the cedar siding of my house, but at the same time, be rigid enough to be lifted by a crane from it's base should the well pump need to be replaced. I'm thinking an eye-bolt attached to the roof beam would provide something for the crane to have something to hold on to.

Basically, it will be a three-sided building, the fourth side being mostly the door into the enclosure. The sides would be secured to the sill plate attached to the concrete base by easily removable screws. The roof and walls would need to be integrated to keep them together. Weight is not a huge issue, but I guess lighter is better.

It seems like conventional stud and siding construction would buckle if lifted without some sort of diagonal bracing at the bottom. Suggestions?

Has anyone ever built anything like this?
Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

We had a well house back when we lived in Texas. As I remember the roof was removable versus lifting the entire thing. Other than that I don't recall how it was built.

Have you talked to the well company about what they would recommend?
I suspect they have been down this road before and may even have plans available.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
We had a well house back when we lived in Texas. As I remember the roof was removable versus lifting the entire thing. Other than that I don't recall how it was built.

Have you talked to the well company about what they would recommend?
I suspect they have been down this road before and may even have plans available.
Their "idea" was not aesthetically pleasing. We run a B&B, so it needs to look good to blend with the surroundings.
Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Just make it, so that the walls and roof are bolted together. I doubt that you would have to move the structure for at least 20 years or so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #5

Post a picture of what you have now.
What type well is it?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #6

I would go with something utilitarian and acceptable to the well people and put a fence around it to suit your aesthetics.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote