Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #1

Share |

Remodeling/ Removing a wall/ Load bearing??

So i am a long time ghoster first time poster. I got my first house and i decided to gut it and start fresh. It's a split foyer that was built in '78.

So one of the things i wanted to do from the start is removing the seperating wall in between the kitchen and living room. My home inspector, along with many other people have said that it is not a load bearing wall but, i might want to consider a header or some bracing. Un sure of there're expireance i decided to look for some knowledge here. Here are some pictures of the wall in concern(thats halfway down) and some bracing that was suggested i do. Any help would be appreciated. I would like to make sure if i take the rest of the wall out, patch and re route the electrical the way i want, my roof isn't coming crash down. and i am sure i will have many more questions and pictures along the way of my new project.

Edit: there is no header over the original opening. the drywall is on the trusses.
Attached Thumbnails
Remodeling/ Removing a wall/ Load bearing??-front-view.jpg   Remodeling/ Removing a wall/ Load bearing??-side-view.jpg   Remodeling/ Removing a wall/ Load bearing??-1.jpg  
hybridhatchc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #2

looks okay from here, but try to get an actual on-site inspection by someone knowledgeable.
post more pictures as you progress.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:54 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

It looks like you have an older style trussed roof (from the attic pic you posted). That doesn't necessarily mean the entire roof is that way, although it likely is (I only see the picture you posted, and I am assuming that the attic pic - is that of the overhead area above that living space).

Trusses are designed to carry the loads full span. So there are no load bearing walls used/needed to support them at center span.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
It looks like you have an older style trussed roof (from the attic pic you posted). That doesn't necessarily mean the entire roof is that way, although it likely is (I only see the picture you posted, and I am assuming that the attic pic - is that of the overhead area above that living space).

Trusses are designed to carry the loads full span. So there are no load bearing walls used/needed to support them at center span.
Yes the picture posted is only overhead, but the rest of it looks the same. i also have been reading/learning as much as possible. learned about the trusses being designed to carry the full span, but was unsure if mine because of its age. If it helps at all the house is 3/4 brick as well. thanks guys. and believe me i have a crap ton of work ahead of me.
hybridhatchc1 is offline   Reply With Quote