Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2008, 11:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Remodeling of commercial space

Hi All:
I am a business school student and I am working on a business plan as one of my projects. This business requires a 3600 sq ft space in a strip mall. I will need the interior finished like the attached file. Since this is an academic exercise I am not looking for an official quote. Are there any contractors willing to chime in on how much the interior "buildout" would cost? Assume all of the interior walls are 2 x 4 drywall construction, ceilings are 8 ft and can be of the acoustic tile type, assume 2 120V outlets per room and 1 240V outlet in the concession area for a commercial refrigerator. The restrooms should be ADA compliant. I am not looking for an official quote just some perspective. My initial guess was $18,000 or $5/sq ft of space. That is probably notcorrect but like I said I need some realistic perspective. Just to make sure it is clear, the outer walls already exist. Are there any rules of thumb on cost per square foot? I am in the Chicago area but I would like to here from any contractor or anyone with experience in this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The_Cardboard_Box_Layout_4.pdf (45.6 KB, 54 views)

kharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharms View Post
Hi All:
I am a business school student and I am working on a business plan as one of my projects. This business requires a 3600 sq ft space in a strip mall. I will need the interior finished like the attached file. Since this is an academic exercise I am not looking for an official quote. Are there any contractors willing to chime in on how much the interior "buildout" would cost? Assume all of the interior walls are 2 x 4 drywall construction, ceilings are 8 ft and can be of the acoustic tile type, assume 2 120V outlets per room and 1 240V outlet in the concession area for a commercial refrigerator. The restrooms should be ADA compliant. I am not looking for an official quote just some perspective. My initial guess was $18,000 or $5/sq ft of space. That is probably notcorrect but like I said I need some realistic perspective. Just to make sure it is clear, the outer walls already exist. Are there any rules of thumb on cost per square foot? I am in the Chicago area but I would like to here from any contractor or anyone with experience in this.
The supplies alone would cost 18k. Do you want to include labor or just materials? If labor costs were involved you would be looking at 80k or so.

Depending on code you have to have a sprinkler system, if you have a cooking area is a halon system required, HVAC, metal studs, 5/8" sheet rock, lighting with so many lumens at the floor, fire pull stations, commercial electrical which is different than home electrical, some require eye wash stations, plumbing, hot water, and so on.

Is the HVAC stuff already in (heat and air, thermostat, ducting)? Is there toilets in already? Do you require finish work like the front desk and if so what is that to be made of?

Your bathrooms are not ADA as they are just too small. I can't remember but I think they have to be 100 sq ft, I could be wrong on that. The door alone would be $4000.

Commercial spaces at mall's are often 12-16 foot ceilings and require a drop down ceiling. All the duct work is in the ceiling.

I just finished a commercial space about the same size. The duct work alone including the 4 ton furnace/air conditioner was 18k.

You would have to be more specific on what you are looking for.

Last edited by Marvin Gardens; 10-06-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for your feedback. It is giving me a more realistic perspective on the cost to developed this space for my use. If you would like to provide some further detail lets assume the following:

The ducting and AC are in place.

Toilets are not in place or need to be moved and they bathrooms can both be 10' x 10' or 100 sqft.

The front desk area could be a laminate countertop.

I meant the ceilings would be 8ft after the drop down ceiling was installed.

As I indicated, I am not looking for exact numbers just a rough guess and some realistic perspective.

Last edited by kharms; 10-06-2008 at 09:49 AM.
kharms is offline   Reply With Quote