Remodeling Basement Mold On Sill - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Remodeling basement Mold on Sill

I am remodeling the basement on a modular home with a pored wall walk-out basement. In the front of the house there is a bay window that comes back into the living room. On each side of the bay window the floor has rotted on the outside of the house. Poor design because the water sat on the floor on the outside of the house. I fixed the floor several years ago and new windows where put in.

In the basement where this happened i removed the under belly membrane and insulation and there was a little moisture (frost) and mold on the bottom of the floor. I expected this because right above the treated floor I fixed ( see Pics) is cement board and tile (now sloped for drainage) and no vapor barrier. Now after I opened it up for a day is seems be drying out. I plan on spraying closed cell foam in the cavities. I think I need to wait until it warms up a little.

Now the question- How to kill the mold? Should I treat the wood so it will not rot in the future? Will the foam solve my problem and act as a vapor barrier? Wil the mold come back under the foam?

This a general overview, I can provide more details if you need them.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Remodeling basement Mold on Sill-basement-sill-1.jpg   Remodeling basement Mold on Sill-basement-sill-2.jpg  

Advertisement

bowbender6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

It looks like there was a water leak above and a patch put in place. The wood was not allowed to dry properly and mold grew.

Advertisement

MBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

There was a leak but I think I have all that fixed now.I cut out all the rotten partilce board. I think the dark areas now are where the particle board was treated with something.
bowbender6 is offline   Reply With Quote