Remodeling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

remodeling

the project we want to do now involves one of our bathrooms. after removing the carpet/padding/tack strip we discovered the concrete floor has a fine crack approx five inches in size. it is a fine crack with one side just a touch higher than the other side. my question is what steps should we take to fix this problem.
dakota

Advertisement

dakotaxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,052

remodeling

I'll move you to B&C where you will get faster answers....

Gary

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,064

remodeling

Hi! Dakotaxyz

A picture(s) would help!
What are you going to put on the floor?

Regards!
rossfingal
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

remodeling

Quote:
What are you going to put on the floor?
There's the first question.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #5

Smile

remodeling

we will be putting tavertine tile on the bathroom floor. and after checking again the crack is even and not one side higher than the other as i was told.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
Tileguy

remodeling

Quote:
My question is what steps should we take to fix this problem.
If you are sure the crack doesn't have a heaving side to it there is no fix required. At the very least however I would suggest you use an isolation product of some kind. Something like Schluter DITRA will work but if the floor heaves slightly all bets are off. Travertine wouldn't be the best product to use under the circumstances. It is very vulnerable to movement. I think I would use DITRA and install the tile with Custom's Megaflex thinset for an extra measure of safety.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #7

Smile

remodeling

since u don't think travertine is a good choice for this room now. what do you recommend? the store where i took a tile class recommended that i use fiberglass and hydroflex to fix the problem. what is your opinion about this fix? also is using a floor leveling substance a good or bad idea as the floor is a little slanted, just a little.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
Tileguy

remodeling

Travertine in its natural form comes with imperfections that are mostly hidden. Travertine is also a soft stone as rocks go. It is a beautiful product and of course very popular right now but considerations are in order when deciding whether or not to use it.

Since you already have a crack and you probably don't know if this crack moves a little it is conceivable that travertine may not be the better choice. There are a lot of porcelain tiles available that mimic travertine beautifully and that may be the better choice in your case. Check out the porcelain and see what you think.

Quote:
The store where i took a tile class recommended that i use fiberglass and hydroflex to fix the problem.
Fiberglass? Fiberglass what?
What is "Hydroflex"? Is that the name of the manufacturer? Is it a thinset mortar? I know of Hydroment. But according to Google Hydroflex makes cameras and surf boards and automotive hoses and there is a Hydroflex Hydraulic system but I didn't turn up any tile related Hydroflex anything..

Quote:
What is your opinion about this fix?
I already suggested the use of DITRA.

Quote:
Also is using a floor leveling substance a good or bad idea as the floor is a little slanted, just a little.
A lot of patching products sport the name "floor levelling compound"...
I'm not much help if I don't have some brand names to go by.

Advertisement