Remodel Project... Need Help Please - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Remodel Project... Need help please

hey guys im currently remodeling our home and i need to replace the beams and joists and support posts. i need to reframe because i am going to build a room after i change the beams. To mention the beams are to support the second floor.

do i need to jack up the house or can i just cut out the floor of the second floor and replace being that the corners have posts to hold up the house?

Might be a stupid question but better to ask then have my old home falling apart because of me.

i will attach a pic to show the current structure. Id appreciate any help in describing what i need to do to replace the beams, posts, and joists.

Thanks

Advertisement

essner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:03 AM   #2

P.S. i also want to remove the posts and stairs to make a room. Thanks

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by essner View Post
hey guys im currently remodeling our home and i need to replace the beams and joists and support posts. i need to reframe because i am going to build a room after i change the beams. To mention the beams are to support the second floor.

do i need to jack up the house or can i just cut out the floor of the second floor and replace being that the corners have posts to hold up the house?

Might be a stupid question but better to ask then have my old home falling apart because of me.

i will attach a pic to show the current structure. Id appreciate any help in describing what i need to do to replace the beams, posts, and joists.

Thanks

Unfortunately the only advice you can possibly get here is to hire a professional to come look at this like an architect or engineer. This is not a diy'er project. No one her can tell you what you can do unless they went to your house to look at it. Someone HAS to do this.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

...What Joe Said.... + 1
mae-ling (01-23-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Is this a trick question?
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 526

Geez, what does the rest of the house look like? Perhaps a match and some gasoline would be start.

I know some people...just leave a case of beer...

B
Beepster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
Love for Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster
Geez, what does the rest of the house look like? Perhaps a match and some gasoline would be start.

I know some people...just leave a case of beer...

B
That was my thoughts exactly. If the rest of the house looks similar, I wold strongly suggest to think about if the house is really worth saving. From the looks of the pictures that's in need of some SERIOUS framing to make that a safe home again. When a house has gems like those pictures i would break out the calculator and put a pencil to whether it makes more sense to start fresh. I'm in no way saying it can't be done, it's just whether it makes sense $wise.

Last edited by <*(((><; 01-23-2012 at 10:48 AM.
<*(((>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 680

I've had customers spend $150,000 to completly redo an old house like yours in 10 times better shape.
Judging by the pictures you posted it's time for it to be knoced down unless you have a ton of money and you would end up replacing everything.
We have a saying, bad bones, bad house/
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #9

The house has more sentimental value
Old 01-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Regardless of its sentimental value, from the pictures at least it appears as though nothing above the stone walls is salvageable. There is extensive rot, and extensive termite damage throughout. If it's really important to you to stick with the same structure you would be much better served taking it all down, salvaging what good wood there is (and it does not look like much if any) and rebuilding according to the same plan, reusing what you can.

Directly to your question, those posts in the center look like they are load bearing...or were at least before they were ravaged by bugs and back when there was actually something above to support other than the clear blue sky.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

I am curious, is this house in a coastal flood zone?

Andy.
AndyGump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #12

Hawaii

Advertisement