Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2007, 08:30 PM   #1

Share |

Remodel over sloped concrete slab

I am in the planning stages of adding a bathroom over an existing enclosed porch slab. I have one problem... The concrete floor is sloped away from the house and it starts ~3" below the main slab (gotta love slab construction in Florida).

The options I see right now are
1) Install ripped 2x4s to level the slope
2) cut away the slab, and pour another slab at the proper elevation

I think the best way to do it would be #2, but then I would have to worry about concrete demo (not one of my favorite pastimes) and #3 pouring concrete, not a favorite either

Any other suggestions??? Anybody done this before?

Thanks in advance!

Here are some pictures

PSL_Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:52 AM   #2

couple of questions that might help getting you some answers are how much slope do you have and what type of floor are you planning on putting in

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #3

The end result will be a tile floor and all the usual bathroom fixtures. Under the tile floor is up for debate at the moment.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:04 PM   #4

how much floor to cieling hight do you have to work with and from the photo are you trying to make it level with the other room ?
Old 07-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #5

floor to cieling height is not an issue. Yes I am trying to make it level with the other room
Old 07-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #6

ok then why not just frame it out as a sub floor so it comes out level then you can tile right over it and it is all level and solid.If it is an area subject to wetness use p/t lumber
Old 07-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #7

1) I have to anchor it to the concrete somehow (probably steel angle bolted through the framing member. then anchor bolted to the concrete)
2) The wood framing would get rather thin close to the door (2"-3" deep) So I am worried about springy-ness
Old 07-11-2007, 01:41 PM   #8

you could use several ways to connect to the concrete (masonry screws,ram set nails.or even t-nail with a nailer the shoots into concrete) as for around the door way if your worried about it not being solid just add cross supports.If you build a sub floor you will be tiling on it in no time the job is not that time consuming or hard if you go the other route first you got to make sure you get that level and you got the demo to then the down time while it sets up before you can even start working on the rest of it.I have a slab home also and had a problem somewhat like yours it was so much easier to just put in a sub floor to even out an area then it would have been to repour it OH and alot cheaper
Old 07-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #9
Contractor

Wood sleepers (2x's ripped on slope) would not be spongy as they will sit on the existing slab.

But my question is what do you plan to do for the drain lines in the new bathroom? they will have to go down and under the slab to hook to an existing drain in your basement, and the supply lines will go a similar route?

Hope you don't mind me jumping in.

www.gebcon.com
tgeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #10

I just assumed he had that part already planned out but I could be wrong and you know what they say about assumming..........................
Old 07-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #11

Okay, thats pretty much what I expected to hear. Always good to get a second opinion.

Yes, the drain lines were my first concern. Toilet will be a wall mount type to avoid that problem. There is enough of a slope so that the drains from the shower and bath (located at the far end of the slope) will have enough room.

Thanks for your help. Ill post pictures in a month or so after I get a permit.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #12

this way if you need to you can also just run that tub or sink line under the sub floor along the slope like you said but if you evey had to get to it for a repair it wouldnt be that much work now if it was buried in concret ouch but hey good luck look forward to seeing the photos when your done