To Remodel Or Not To Remodel... That Is The.. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

To Remodel or Not to Remodel... That is the..

I am considering remodeling my 1600 sq ft house (adding 800 sq ft and reconfiguring the interior) and am confused as to how constructions bids can vary so much from one contractor to another. Can anyone shed some light on this

Advertisement

Lety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Lety,

The simplest and shortest answer to your question is the following.

Pricing Varies Due To:

1) Differences in materials and labor rates (For instance, one contractor may figure on materials for completing the project in a certain manner, and may charge more/less for labor & estimate longer/shorter durations to do the work needed)
2) If one price seems much much higher, and the detailed list of work doesn't seem much different from the rest, you might just be getting someone who wants to take you're money.
3) If the price seems much much lower, and there is a lack of detail or work history, you might be again targeted by a person out to get you're money.

In the end all you can do is be as specific as possible about the work you want done, and how you would like it done. This will enable a contractor to give you a more detailed quote; and be sure to ask for one that gives a breakdown of the work. This way you see where the money is going, and can better compare and see why there are differences in the quotes.

I hope this helps with the question you asked. If something else comes up, or there is a part of the question I didn't answer clearly enough, please let me know and I will try to clarify,

~ Sun

Advertisement

Northern_Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

There are manyu reasons why estiamtes can differ between contractors.

For one fact, some contractors have little to no overhead. Overhead is not necessarily a bad thing. Overhead includes: Liability insurance, Workman's comp, Licensing/Certification costs, paying taxes, business fees, etc.
Legitimate busineses have such costs. People who work out of their station wagon, with no licensing, or insurance tend not to have much overhead. They also tend to perform and conduct their business/work differently.

Example, in my region, workmans comp on roofing jobs is $38.00 per every $100.00 paid out to workers. Workmans comp is required by law in alot of areas, working without it(illegally), will bring bidding costs down considerably, and affect pricing.

Also, what is included with the scope of work, has alot to do with cost. Read the fine print. Example: Will they prep. a remodeling job, so as to limit dust, and clean up daily. Does it include trash and debris removal. Does it include all the materials? Are they the requested materials, or cheap/sub standard materials? Does each bid include the same things?
FWIW: no two remodeling bids are ever really identical.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 09-08-2008 at 09:54 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote