Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #1

Share |

remedy for a loud garage door opener?

Hey all - our garage door opener is right under my son's room. It's very loud in his room when operated. Funny thing - it actually sounds louder in his room than it does while in the garage itself.

I don't recall the model - but it's actually a great model and supposed to be a very quiet one. Screw drive.

There's no question the sound is from the motor, but I'm sure there are amplified vibrations.

I've seen unique sound dampening mounts. Anyone tried those?

I assume there is insulation in the garage ceiling. I've considered cutting in holes and blasting more in there. Or putting acoustic tiles on the ceiling.

Finally - there's a small bathroom next to his bedroom. So I was thinking I could move the motor and screw drive back 6 feet so it's under the bathroom instead. Then rig a 6 foot metal pipe and pins to the door.

However - then the motor is under a tiled bathroom - I fear that could further amplify the sound. And, my other son's bedroom is on the other side of this bathroom. So I'm fearful I'd cause noise in both kid's rooms vs. just one.

Anyone had issues like this or fixed them?

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

Replace it with a DC belt driven model. Much quieter.

sgip2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgip2000 View Post
Replace it with a DC belt driven model. Much quieter.
+1 I would also check all of the rollers and hinges on the door. They may be creating extra drag on the motor or creating some of the noise themselves.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #4

You might try lubricating the screw drive. Surprisingly this make quite a bit of difference to the noise put out by a screw drive opener if it hasn't been lubricated in a while.
A Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #5

Thanks all - nobody has tried the dampeners?
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

It may not be the actually opener unit itself.

It is possibly the vibration from the wheels and track that is transmitted directly yo the room above. Vibration is tricky since you do not hear it until it is transmitted. If you can do some adjusting to improve the alignment, that takes the load off the opener.

Tighten all brackets, replace bad wheels and lubricate everything to make it right. A little maintenance is cheaper than a service call or a new door.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #7

Another thing, trying to put more insulation in the ceiling probably isn't going to gain you much. Most likely, the opener is supported from the joists, which provide an excellent path to the floor of for the vibrations of the opener. Stuffing insulation beside that joist isn't going to cut down on the vibration transmitted thru the joist.
A Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #8

Dene,
I install doors and openers. The screw drives are never quiet for long. They are by far the noisiest openers, hence, I don't install them. Do yourself a favor and forget about insulation, rubber mounting, etc. Get a Liftmaster belt drive. I install a lot of their Elite series 3585's. Quiet as a mouse. Here's a link:http://www.liftmaster.com/lmcv2/page...px?modelId=420
If you hunt around, you can find steel, ball-bearing rollers for the door that have a black nylon tire on them. They get rid of the metallic noise the door makes when the rollers move around in the track as the door goes up and down. Give your screw drive to somebody you hate.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (08-04-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

I am having a new door installed to replace an old (20 years?) door in my townhouse. - 2 car tuck under the master bedroom and very typical. There are requirements on the appearance and insulation is not critica (in spite of location of MN) brcause of the over-all concrete mass and adjacent areas.

My son-in-law has a business and has installed doors for many years on residential (which he generally refuses to do), commercial/indusrtial sites and some emergencies if it is convenient.

I challenged him to install a door as quiet as the one in his own home. It will be interesting what he chooses for hardware (door/tracks and possibly opener) and how he installs/tweaks it. Obviously, for me it is not a question of price (I trust him and he is related), but performance of the equipment.

I will try to forward what he does.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #10

What kind of lubricant to use on the door wheels?
Godspede619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Best solution would be to spray foam the floor for the bedroom, then use something like Roxwool to help quiet the noise. Then use the same decoupling method used for home theaters, by using Hat Channels, one layer of 5/8" drywall, Green Glue, then another Layer of 5/8" over that. If you want to step it up, you would use a layer of 5/8" OSB before the Gypsum, then Green Glue, then the first layer of Gypsum. Supposedly the new Purple Gypsum board is supposed to help keep noise down, like Quiet Rock.

What your problem is, is the transition of noise from the controller through the steel support struts, to the wood joists, which is causing vibration through the floor. On top of that, poor construction methods on lower quality builds is also a lot of the problems, when it comes to people complaining about noise from outside a room envelope.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #12
Bill Kearney

Insulation is great but it's not going to eliminate vibration that gets transferred directly from the metal rails to the framing. What you need to do is isolate the hardware from the framing. There are kits that do this. One that came up in searching:
http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/rs...r_kit.htm?d=46

wkearney99 is online now   Reply With Quote