Rejuvinating An Old Deck - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Rejuvinating an old deck

Hi all,

In the process of selling our house, and I want to spruce up the deck. It's about 15 years old, and the previous owner painted it a dog-doo brown a few years back. The paint is peeling, and the deck boards are in pretty rough shape. I've decided to pull up the old deck boards and replace them with pressure treated wood that I will then stain. For the railings, I think I'm going to scuff up the old paint and cover it with Sikkens Rubol.

My questions:

-The old deck boards are held in with nails. What's the quickest and easiest way to remove them?

-Any thoughts on the Rubol? I'll be going white over a dark brown.

-Can 16' lengths of PT decking be transported in any sort of pickup truck? Or will I have to have it delivered?

-What kind of screws should I use for the decking?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Proulx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Custom Deck Builder

Rejuvinating an old deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proulx06 View Post
The old deck boards are held in with nails. What's the quickest and easiest way to remove them?
If the ends aren't trapped under your handrail, just hit the ends from underneath w/ a hammer or min-sledge. It'll knock up one end, then you can just pull them up, one by one.
If the ends are trapped under the handrail, cut the decking down the middle of your deck (don't hit the joists below) and knock those ends up.

People also speak well of the Duckbill Deckwrecker.

Quote:
-Can 16' lengths of PT decking be transported in any sort of pickup truck? Or will I have to have it delivered?
If you've got a ladder rack w/ 1,000 lb capacity or better, you can load up a lot of decking on that. You could also rent a 16' trailer for the day.

Quote:
-What kind of screws should I use for the decking?
My personal preference is FastenMaster GuardDog 3" screws. Splitstop makes good screws, GRK does too, Swan Secure makes SS screws (nice but 3x more expensive)...

Mac

Advertisement

BuiltByMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #3

Rejuvinating an old deck

Thanks Mac. Couple more questions:

-Do I have to drill pilot holes for the screws? Using PT wood.

-How long should I wait before staining? Can I do it same day? I'm in New England, so we'll have a couple more months of 'normal' weather before it snows.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Rejuvinating an old deck

No need to drill pilot holes in the screws.

As for stain, I wouldn't waste the time on staining pressure treated wood. It is a poor product and no amount of stain will keep it nice for more than a few years. It will take some time (weeks or months) for the wood to dry out enough to make staining worthwhile. That's my opinion...Others' may vary. If it were Cedar, I'd advocate staining it to keep it nice and new looking.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #5

Rejuvinating an old deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
No need to drill pilot holes in the screws.

As for stain, I wouldn't waste the time on staining pressure treated wood. It is a poor product and no amount of stain will keep it nice for more than a few years. It will take some time (weeks or months) for the wood to dry out enough to make staining worthwhile. That's my opinion...Others' may vary. If it were Cedar, I'd advocate staining it to keep it nice and new looking.
I'm actually ok with your answer, haha. Saves me from buying the stain and having to stain it. We're in the process of selling, and only replacing deck boards to give it a visual boost. I'm not about to spend any kind of money on this thing. That'll be for the new owners. Just replacing the brown, peeling, rotting, 20-year-old deck boards and painting the brown railings white should do the trick.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Rejuvinating an old deck

Agree with MAC that the easiest way to get the old boards loose is from underneath if you can. A length of 2"x4" works too. Hold at waist level with both hands and bang up on the deck boards until breathless... recover and repeat. You can buy a "bed extender" that fits into a receiver hitch to haul your 16' lengths. I got one at Harbor Freight pretty cheap. I think Northern Tool carries them. Just a couple places that come to mind. I would haul my own material if at all possible so I could hand pick it. Deck Mate screws are another option.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Rejuvinating an old deck

That new ACQ wood will be a big visual improvement, and it will look really good for at least a year before it starts weathering and losing its new look.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #8

Rejuvinating an old deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
Agree with MAC that the easiest way to get the old boards loose is from underneath if you can. A length of 2"x4" works too. Hold at waist level with both hands and bang up on the deck boards until breathless... recover and repeat. You can buy a "bed extender" that fits into a receiver hitch to haul your 16' lengths. I got one at Harbor Freight pretty cheap. I think Northern Tool carries them. Just a couple places that come to mind. I would haul my own material if at all possible so I could hand pick it. Deck Mate screws are another option.
Thanks for the advice. I picked up a couple different types of crowbar/wunderbar, and where I'm tearing up every board, I don't really care about destroying the adjacent board in the prying process.

I'm actually doing the project tomorrow and picking up the wood tonight. I was going to have Lowes deliver it last week, but wanted to pick my own boards as you said. I'm planning on renting their truck for $20 tonight, which should save me some hassle.

Picked up my Sikkens Rubbol just now. I'll post pics when I'm done!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Rejuvinating an old deck

AH YES. Didn't even think of the rental truck. For $20 it's a deal! Sounds like you've got it under control.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #10

Rejuvinating an old deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
AH YES. Didn't even think of the rental truck. For $20 it's a deal! Sounds like you've got it under control.
I didn't either. I went up to the service desk last week to arrange delivery, and the guy behind the desk told me about it. That's decent service for a big-box store!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
Capra aegagrus

Rewards Points: 10

Rejuvinating an old deck

Quote:
-Can 16' lengths of PT decking be transported in any sort of pickup truck?
<snort>
Attached Thumbnails
Rejuvinating an old deck-truckload.jpg  

Advertisement

Tinstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote