DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Reinstalling Interlocking Ceiling Tiles After Leak

11K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  carpdad 
#1 ·
Hello all. Thank you to anyone taking the time to read this post.

Basically I had a leak from a copper pipe above the ceiling in my basement. I had to cut out the old ceiling tiles because I could find a way to get them out... Google said there should be a "key" piece to take out and then slide everything around, but I could not find one.

So the tiles were damaged both from water and from me cutting and I needed to replace them. I have a few extra panels, but could not get them in because all of the interlocking tiles were immovable (tabs overlapping, etc.). So I did a very Mickey Mouse job that I'd like to make look better.

So, any suggestions on making this look better? Any suggestions on finding the "key" tile so I can put the new pieces in normally?

Thanks again!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Cut out the damaged tiles completely. Careful not to score the adjoining tiles.

Cut new replacement pieces, removing the interlocking tabs.

Place construction adhesive on the back coinciding with the wood grid the tiles were stapled to.

Hold in place from below with a piece of wood. Place a piece of plywood between the tiles and the stick to press against.

Let it set overnight.

#6 ·
There is no such thing. But there is called removing them and just put in Drywall, with access openings where the bath(s) & Kitchen plumbing is located. That way you do not have to play detective, trying to remember where those areas are located.

Those ceiling tiles were used in schools as a way to cut down on noise, along with hide Plaster ceilings that were cracking. Now they are being covered over with Drop Ceilings.

#8 ·
They are tongue and groove. But they are fragile, so treat them as if you are removing ceramic tiles. Cut out middle first or away from the joints and try to remove the pieces straight out, not bending down.
Remove the ceiling side of the groove on a new tile and use quick set adhesive. If back of the tile is crumbly, you may want to make some slices and first work some glue in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.