Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #1

Share |

Reinforcing Weakened Studs

We had a bathroom put in and the plumber drilled something like 3 inch holes in the 2x4s. This is through two studs. One has about 1/4-1/2 inch of wood on each side of the whole. The other one has about 1/2 inch on one side, and the other side is open making it it basically a notch. This is a load bearing wall, and the top plate is cut all the way through next to the second stud where the main plumbing vent goes upstairs and through the wall. I'm wondering how I can reinforce these studs. I am putting a large mudpan for shower and bath tub on the floor above and am concerned that the weight will break the studs.

Is there a way to reinforce the studs? I was thinking on one side there is a closet and I can attach a 2x4 to the side of the stud perpendicular (4" part of board against to 2" part of weakened studs). Would this be enough? Is there a better way? I would prefer to only have to do this one one side because the other side there is no good way to conceal the 2" sticking out of the wall.

Thanks,

Richard
rjschwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
old guy contractor

You might consider using plywood and construction adhesive to skin the wall on the closet side.
This should act as a "gusset" or web to tie the plates and studs together.
Adding a chunk of wood to a compromised piece of lumber will do little to help the overall integrity of the wall.

And shame on the plumber!!!!!!!
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #3

I will try and do that. Should I use nails as well? I'm concerned with the construction adhesive sticking to the studs. The house was built in 1914 and the studs are somewhat "splintery" if you know what I mean. I guess I was hoping there was some kind of like metal wrap or something that you could attach that would reinforce the stud around the wall. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Richard
Old 04-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #4

Glue and screws or nails for the plywood.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
old guy contractor

ohhhhh she'll stick...

Old 04-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #6

Sounds good. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

That wall should be built with 2x6 studs, and the vent runs up between two studs on either side. Really need pictures to see what is going on.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #8

Also, not knowing the "codes" in the area you're in -
Here - anytime we have to drill studs for 1 1/4" to 2" for plumbing -
(2 X 4 or 2 X 6 walls)
- we double up all the studs that have to be drilled.
3' is too wide, for 2 x 4's.
"tcleve4911" has the right idea - for your situation. (PL Polyurethane is your friend - keep it off your hands).

rossfingal
rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #9

I put equal blame on the plumber and the OP. He said he knew that was a load bearing wall, before or after the fact he didn't say.
What else besides the future tub above is this wall supporting? You may luck out by having enough point load below the weakened studs to frame another wall on the closet side losing 3 1/2" of space. Above.....??
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #10

I can only envision what happened. A carpenter once told me that he was sick the first time he meticulously built a very sturdy house, and then the plumbers showed up.... with chain saws. Is there any way to fabricate a steel "header" of sorts, with steel legs that can sneak in beside the pipe? Half inch thick steel can carry a lot of weight. Of course, you'll have to figure out some kind of shoes to spread the load to the bottom plate. I'm a steel guy, so it would be a no-brainer for me to fabricate something. If that is a bearing wall, something needs to happen for structure.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #11

I decided to just pull the plumbing, and run it on the outside of the wall in the closet and when we drywall I will just have a channel where the drains are in the closet. This way I can put in two new studs sistered to the compromised studs. To me this would seem so solve the problem as if it never existed as the two new studs may as well replace the old ones.

Thanks,

Richard
Old 04-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
old guy contractor

Okay Richard...good luck.....

We didn't know ugly was an option.

I mean that in the nicest way.....
Old 04-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #13

Thanks,

I'm already putting the shower drain run in the closet do I don't have to drill through the 2x6 floor joists of the shower. They are 2x6 because there is a shorter ceiling upstairs and the extra 2 inches makes a big difference height wise. Besides, they are only spanning 3 feet, and according to all the span tables I looked at 16 inches on center is more than enough.

As for the closet it is in an office and the closet is set up w/ home runs of speaker, data, coax etc. so it is a media closet. When we finish it I'm just going to have the piping covered up with drywall and lose a bit of space. I may even chose to just reduce the whole closet width by 3.5".

Richard