Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:11 PM   #1

Share |

Reinforcing a floor joist

I was in my basement yesterday and noticed a pretty decent crack in one of my 2x10 floor joists. It starts on the end resting on the center beam and extends for a few feet and is maybe an eighth to a quarter inch wide. Although not all the way through to the other side, it looked fairly deep. The joist is also slightly twisted right at the cracked spot.

Without having to add a new 2x10 for the full length of the floor joist, would nailing another 2x10 "patch" onto the affected area do anything to help support it?

Thanks!

dc4nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:20 PM   #2

Sure would. Any material you add to that joist will help to reinforce the damaged part. I'd be sure to make it plenty long, if not full length of the span. Use construction adhesive (liquid nails or similar) to secure the scab to the joist, as well as plenty of nails.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Sure would. Any material you add to that joist will help to reinforce the damaged part. I'd be sure to make it plenty long, if not full length of the span. Use construction adhesive (liquid nails or similar) to secure the scab to the joist, as well as plenty of nails.
Haha I knew it! My dad was over when I noticed it and he was trying to tell me that it wouldn't do any good unless it extended the full length. But I should have known because he was also trying to tell me to install a header with long drywall screws...

I can't quite make it the full length because the end resting on the outside wall of the house is embedded in the masonry - I guess I could chisel out a slot in the wall for a new 2x10, but that would be a pain. I will just try and make it as long as possible. Thanks a lot termite, and good idea with the construction adhesive as well.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4nomore View Post
But I should have known because he was also trying to tell me to install a header with long drywall screws...
Drywall screws are for hanging drywall. They're NEVER for use in structural applications, no exceptions.

Don't use deck screws either. Use nails. I'd suggest 10d's. Lots of them.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Drywall screws are for hanging drywall. They're NEVER for use in structural applications, no exceptions.

Don't use deck screws either. Use nails. I'd suggest 10d's. Lots of them.
Yeah I know...I was trying to explain to him that nails have a much higher shear strength but I don't think I got through to him. I just should have known that he was probably wrong about the floor joist if he was also trying to suggest using drywall screws...

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
Drywall contractor

I'm doing the exact repair at my mother-in-law's house. 3 or 4 joists cracked where they sit on the bond beam running through the middle of the house. I'm shooting glue into the crack, jacking the joist back up level and glue/nailing another 2"x10" on the side. The joists are cracked and sagged perhaps 2 -3' out and I'm running the new piece approx 8' to the bridging blocks. Works fine.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #7

I would sister the joist on both sides and secure with construction adhesive and maybe bolts instead of nails or both, if you want overkill.

Before you do any of this though, I would put at least a 2x4 under that problem spot and try to jack it up first.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #8

Bolts would certianly be overkill on a floor joist. The fastener pattern you need would require a lot of bolts. I'd go with two horizontal rows of nails no farther apart than 12" (and staggered) and would feel 100% comfortable with it.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
Drywall contractor

Ditto what the Termite said for fasteners.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #10

I'd actually use 2x10 on both sides, glued and nailed (10d, 6" O.C.) I'd extend the reinforcing over the column and it really only needs to go to mid-span on either side. That is if the cracked joist is in fact a two span continuous joist over the column.
HCI Blogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #11

Taking care of this today guys...I'm gonna go with the nails and glue. Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4nomore View Post
Taking care of this today guys...I'm gonna go with the nails and glue. Thanks a lot for the help.
Don't do it without jacking up the weak point first.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote