Reinforcing Ceiling Trusses - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
rdp

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Reinforcing Ceiling Trusses

I'm planning to bump out an existing (exterior) wall six (6) feet by 20 (20) feet in order to enlarge the kitchen area. My trusses currently cover the 6' x 20' proposed area - which is a roof over the front deck/porch - but the initial design of the trusses was to use the existing (exterior) wall as the primary support.

I want to reinforce 6 or 7 trusses (ceiling joists) to maintain structural stability and wonder what the best material would be for this job. I've considered 2 x 8s bonded (glued/nailed) horizontally to the trusses. I've also considered some composite material or 3/4 inch plywood cut in 12 in by 96 in strips bonded there.

Suggestions? Here's a couple of photos to help explain:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...rus/Trussa.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...us/Truss2a.jpg

Advertisement

powrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Tom

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to tvlfleming

To begin with, move the sled and barrel so visibility of joists isnt impaired. Are the joists one piece over that existing wall or were they sistered to existing? I beleive you are removing load bearing and the peak roof supports are coming down to that wall. You would most likely have to build a beam to replace existing wall. Supporting roof rafters wouldnt be my concern as long as the ceiling joists are one and not sistered. Sounds like alot of work to add six feet.

Advertisement

tvlfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
rdp

Rewards Points: 75

I built the house in '97 and the trusses I chose are designed to incorporate the roof over the front porch. Nothing up there in the attic space has been "sistered". You are correct that since the trusses are original one-piece trusses, they should be structurally sound enough not to require load bearing walls. But I always like to make certain.

A 25' beam was my first consideration, but I wanted to find a way to keep from doing that. Ideally, I want the kitchen ceiling to remain flat throughout.

A lot of trouble? Sure it's a lot of trouble. But some of us retired people go looking for trouble like this (LOL).
powrus is offline   Reply With Quote