Rehabbing An Old Screen Porch - Some Questions (and Pictures) - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Rehabbing an old screen porch - some questions (and pictures)

This is the really ugly screen porch we inherited in our 1967-built house:

This is the view from the inside, after I removed the screen and the horizontal decking planks the prior owner was using for rails:

My question is regarding my options for the vertical supports as well as railings. This is what I'd like to go for:

My current setup has a combination of 4x4s and 2x4's holding the roof of the screen porch up, and they're 40" apart along the 26' length of the porch. I'd like a more uniform look, so I was thinking 4x4's spaced 4' apart (so no 2x4's). The last support wouldn't be 48" away from the far side, but I'm ok with that. If this approach is ok, what should I be looking for in a 4x4? Most of what I've seen is pretty rough cut. Do they make a "nice" 4x4?

My reasoning for the width is because we want to do a white vinyl rail system, and most of those come in 8' sets. I'd like to be able to cut them in half and not have a lot of waste. To that end, can anyone recommend a rail system that works with a porch as high off the ground as mine? We'll also be building a deck off the front of the porch, but it may be another year before we get to that.

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Rehabbing an old screen porch - some questions (and pictures)-2013-01-17_12-07-27_525.jpg   Rehabbing an old screen porch - some questions (and pictures)-2013-03-15_11-18-46_968.jpg   Rehabbing an old screen porch - some questions (and pictures)-porch.jpg  

Advertisement

Proulx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Rehabbing an old screen porch - some questions (and pictures)

internet search for composite wood. but i don't know if it is engineered to support a roof

Advertisement

redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote