Regular Zinc Coated Steel Hardware With ACQ Treated Lumber - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

regular zinc coated steel hardware with ACQ treated lumber

We have built a pergola and have draped shade cloth across the top (see attached picture) but we need to attach the cloth to keep it from blowing off. Our plan is put bolts through the beams and to putgrommets on the edges of the shade cloth that would fit over the bolt and then use large washers and wing nuts to "temporarily" pin the grommet to the bolt. We wanted the wing nuts in case there is a big storm (we are in south Louisiana) and we need to bring the shade cloth down to keep it from turning into huge sail.

The problem(s) are, (1) the pergola is built using ACQ treated lumber (from Lowes). All instructions say use hot dipped galvanized connectors, (2) since the pergola is outside, it is exposed to the elements. (3) stainless steel is WAY expensive (we are talking a minimum of 24 sets of connectors, and each set would be a minimum of $3.30 (at least $75) just to hold down the shade cloth. There are no wing nuts for hot dipped galvanized that I can find - that would be my preference. So, I am left with zinc coated steel. I know it will rust over time but I do not know how long it will take and I also do not know if the ACQ lumber treatment will cause any other interactions. The cost differential makes it hard not to at least consider the the zinc coated ($.40 per connection to a total cost of about $10).

Please tell me what I want to hear
Attached Thumbnails
regular zinc coated steel hardware with ACQ treated lumber-pergola_side.jpg  

Advertisement

dumbunusedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

It isn't a big deal. It would be an issue if you were connecting structural members, but for your purposes you're fine using zinc coated steel. If it rusts it is only an aesthetic issue.

Realistically, the ACQ will take a very long time to degrade the steel. I used electro-galvanized staples (less protection that hot dipped) in my ACQ fence a few years ago and they're still holding strong.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
It isn't a big deal. It would be an issue if you were connecting structural members, but for your purposes you're fine using zinc coated steel. If it rusts it is only an aesthetic issue.

Realistically, the ACQ will take a very long time to degrade the steel. I used electro-galvanized staples (less protection that hot dipped) in my ACQ fence a few years ago and they're still holding strong.

Excellent! I just thought I would check. Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, as far as the rust concerns, I could buy new connectors every year for 7-8 years and it still be cheaper than the stainless.... oh, and my local big box store does not happen to have (24) 1/4" X 2.5" stainless carriage bolts in stock anyway and my local hardware is having their going out of business sale
dumbunusedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Realistically, the ACQ will take a very long time to degrade the steel.
For installing material, that will actually wear out quicker than the zinc coated fasteners, this advice is spot-on.