Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #1

Share |

refinish or stain kitchen cabinets

Our house was built in 1996. We just remodeled our kitchen with installing new countertops, backsplash, sink, faucet, microwave mounted above stove.

What we have not done is anything to the kitchen cabinets. What exactly would need to be done (prepare them) to either restain them the same color or a different color? They look pretty good except for some spots where the cabinets have been scratched or hit and the stain knocked off and you can see the bare wood. Thanks for your feedback.

kjeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #2

If you're keeping it the same color, just do the repairs on the dings and scratches. Hopefully the color is an easy match.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #3

What repairs exactly? Sand those areas and restain? Would I need to knock the shine off of all of the cabinets and put a new "shine" on after repairing and staining the spots that need repaired? Thanks
Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeffer View Post
What repairs exactly? Sand those areas and restain? Would I need to knock the shine off of all of the cabinets and put a new "shine" on after repairing and staining the spots that need repaired? Thanks
Post photos of the areas that are an issue. Can better advise if I see what needs to be done.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #5

See attached
There are some small scratches on the door on the right under sink. They may be hard to see. Those are the scratches that are typical on some of the other cabinets that need repairing.
Attached Thumbnails
refinish or stain kitchen cabinets-img00098-20110824-0818.jpg  
Old 08-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
JOATMON

Who ever made your cabinets are the same people who made the cabinets in my MIL's house.....which I got when my wife remodeled her kitchen.

I can tell you right now....don't plan on changing the color unless you just paint them. You are looking at a major task to strip them down, restain and revarnish. MAJOR job. For my grage, I sanded, primered and painted the door and drawer facings....I made my own face frames...

Just fix the dings....and call it done....

BTW....granit and tile works looks great....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #7

For the small scratches, I'd take a Qtip and first put on a wood conditioner on the scratch. Put it on a few times before the stain or you'll get a dark line of stain. Then , with the same Qtip, hit it with stain. The stain will be a bit diluted, but that's okay. You can slowly darken it with successive coats.
Test this method with a scratch on the inside of a drawer or door before trying it in an obvious place. The wetter the scratch, the better. You might even remove the door and laty it flat and let a small puddle sit on the scratch for a while(5 minutes or so).
The stain color looks like a Minwax Golden Oak. Minwax also makes the wood conditioner.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #8

Thanks for your comments. You mentioined you had the same cabinets. Were they the same original color? If so, do you have the color and a number for the stain? Our house was built in 1996 and I don't have the name of the color or a number to match it.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeffer View Post
Thanks for your comments. You mentioined you had the same cabinets. Were they the same original color? If so, do you have the color and a number for the stain? Our house was built in 1996 and I don't have the name of the color or a number to match it.
Sorry....don't have that info...I didn't even try to patch them. But if I was going to try, I would go down to HD and get a can of Watlow oil stain....they have a light oak stain that will be real close if not exact. I believe the exact color is honey oak.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote