Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Reducing sound in basement ceiling

We want to create a spare bedroom in our basement and we want to reduce the sound of people and our dogs walking on the laminate flooring on the first level. Iíve torn down the old drywall ceiling and plan to put two layers of Owens Corning QuiteZone insulation between the floor joists.

My question deals with how to re-install the ceiling. They make some sort of metal rail that isolates the drywall from the joists. Iím not sure what it is called or where to get it. My thought was to do basically the same thing but with 1x2 strips running across the joists.

Would this work almost as well? If not, what are those strips called and Iíll look for them?

Thanks

papageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Reducing sound in basement ceiling

I am sure there are a number of products out there, on a quick search here is what I came up with....

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/ceiling-products.html

Isolating the floor joist completely from the ceiling is the most positive way to prevent sound transmission, but that is often difficult to impossible in a basement.

Mark