DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

redesign truss

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  joasis 
#1 ·
I HAVE A 30x40 POLE STYLE SHOP WITH 10' WALLS.
I WANT TO OPEN THE TRUSSES THAT ARE CURRENTLY W'S. I WAS THINKING BOX OR SCISSOR TYPE, MAYBE USING METAL TO OPEN COMPLETELY.
ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE DOING SO?

#2 ·
I was involved with doing it once, but it wasnt that large. (Customer changed their mind). We had to draw up new plans, get them stamped for on site reconstruction. If yours isnt living space you might get away without the stamp (depending on locale) but it's a good idea either way. You may need to add a beam for one, or sister the floor joists, etc.

Hard to do much more educated guessing without a drawing, local codes, loads, pitch, etc. When the original trusses were designed and what load criteria was used would make a difference as well.

#4 ·
ANY alteration that you make to truss has to be approved by an Engineer.

That being said, the easiest way to do this would be attach a 2 x 10 to the top chord with the appropriate birds mouth on the tails. Leave a gap in the middle so you can slip in a 2 x 12 ridge board. Each new rafter will have to be braced up before you cut the trusses. Also put the new 2 x 10 at 12" OC. That means that you will have a extra 2 x 10 in between each truss.

Hope this make sense.

#5 ·
I would advise proceeding with extreme caution before cutting up an existing truss....if you aren't sure of what you are doing, it may be worth some of your time and a few bucks to get an experienced contractor in for an opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.