Recommendations For Front Step? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Recommendations for front step?

So I currently need to redo my front step because the single step has sunk and now leaves a huge rise in the step and people trip constantly. Also the previous owners had painted the face and top of the landing and I haven't been able to find anything that will strip the paint.

So il looking for recommendations for the landing and front step as I have to redo it anyway! Looking for ways to dress it up and give it some curb appeal, was maybe thinking about incorporating some stone maybe if possible!?

Thoughts anyone? Also planning on switching out the storm door with something more modern as well'

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Recommendations for front step?-image.jpg  

Advertisement

jessb_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

in my area a slab of granite would commonly be used. you could use brick to match the home.

Advertisement

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 628

Regarding the landing, you may have some height restrictions?

I would look at some type of porcelain tile. If you like the look of stone, find one that mimics what you like.

You don't list your location in your profile. Get a qualified installer wherever you may be.

As for the step, this is a very common problem. It probably took 10 years at least to settle. I would just remove that concrete and replace it after filling the settled area with rock and compacting it.

If you don't want it to settle any more ever again, then you really need to have it on footings as your landing is. You could try to pin your sidewalk and step to your landing, but that too will fail over time.

Be happy that you have a landing on footings. Oftentimes one will see a whole neighborhood with no landings on footings and every home needs to have work done.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I would consider tile as well after checking clearances for the storm door. Make sure it has a non slip finish of some kind as a smoothly glazed tile can be very slippery with a little frost.
rckkrgrd is offline   Reply With Quote