Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #1

Share |

Reclaiming crawlspace on old house

I have a 1915 house and I am trying to reclaim a small portion of my basement, currently crawl space, and make it finished basement. Currently over 50% of the basement is original to the house, and has a floor to ceiling concrete block wall that is hollow. Then there is another approx 25% of basement space that was added later, with the construction technique shown in the picture.

What I want to do is basically replicate what the picture shows for the remaining approximately 25% of what is currently dirt crawl space, but with no real separation from the rest of the house other than a wall I framed up, and I have some questions....

1st - I am curious if there is a good way to tell how close I can come to the original wall/footer? In the picture it shows on the current part it shows they stayed about 3' away. Is that best? ...or should I be able to come closer if I work it in sections? I realize this is likely determined by soil type, but curious if there is a good answer/way to tell or test.

2nd - which is better to use? Concrete block or Haydite block. My neighbor who is a brick mason says the Haydite as it is lighter and stronger, but my google searches seem to say normally concrete is used for foundation walls.... Our construction is a 1' wide x 1' thick steal re-inforced footer, then the block wall filled with concrete and steal. At the last course of block, which will be above the original footer, will be a concrete cap tied to everything with steal.

Thanks for any input!
Attached Thumbnails
Reclaiming crawlspace on old house-basement.jpg  

Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... My guess is yer opening up a Nasty can of Worms...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #3

I'm thinking if they could have gotten closer to the original wall, they would have.
Considerations would have included the type of soil they were dealing with and the load on the original structure.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I'm thinking if they could have gotten closer to the original wall, they would have.
Considerations would have included the type of soil they were dealing with and the load on the original structure.
Ron
Noted!! I think I'll stick with the plan and proceed as they did.

What I don't know is if they, as in whomever reclaimed the last space, filled the block with concrete and steel. I do know I will be doing that and my neighbor swears that thing will not budge. We actually have an approximately 10' run started, but I was wondering if I could come closer in other areas. I think I'll stay at about the 3' mark. Right now I have 80% of this dug out, but I kept about 4'+ away from the exterior with the dirt and then went about 1/2 way down and came out another 1', just to play it safe until ready to pour another section of footing, so we can continue the block wall.

As for the load, I realize it's probably very high, but my worries in that area were eased a bit when last fall my neighbor had to replace a bit of block foundation on a house my sister owns. It's only blocks away, same era of house, same type of wall and same type of footing, and he had to literally remove about 10-15' of block, 3 or 4 course high, from the footer to the sill plate, because it was leaning out due to poor drainage and that wall never dropped an inch.

So, I'll just keep with what has held up before and stay the same distance away. Anyone have any input on type of block??
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #5

It might to worth getting an SE to look at the job. I have worked on jobs siimilar to this where concrete foundation was cut flush with the brickwork and then it was underpinned with 18 inch brickwork on a concrete foundation. The underpinning was done in 3ft bays in a set order.
The builders may have stopped short to avoid underpinning which takes more time.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote