Recessed Cans Fall Right In The Middle Of My Drywall Seam... What Do I Do?? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Recessed Cans fall right in the middle of my drywall seam... What do i do??

Basically if i start my 4x8 foot sheet in the corner, the recessed can will fall directly on the seam that i will have to finish. I'm assuming i cannot mud and tape a seam with a recessed can in the middle of it. The only other option i believe i have is to start my sheet 2 feet out from the wall, so that the cans fall in the middle of the sheet. This sucks because i will have much more taping to do,obviously because I will have to start the drywall out about 2 feet on each side of the wall

the ceiling dimensions are 148X216 inches.

I realize that i can hang the drywall parallel to the studs, however i really do not want to do that, I want to do it the correct way, 90 degrees to the studs.

any ideas on how i should lay out my drywall

p.s. im using 5/8 on the ceiling and 1/2 on the walls

Advertisement

AndyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Can't you use 10' or 12' sheets?

Advertisement

perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
Can't you use 10' or 12' sheets?

I already purchased the dryall. The length of the sheets doesnt matter, its the width.
Attached Thumbnails
Recessed Cans fall right in the middle of my drywall seam... What do i do??-file0390.jpg  
Old 03-13-2008, 02:44 PM   #4

Wanted to put up a couple of pics so you get the idea of what im talking about. No matter what wall i start hanging from, the cans fall right on the middle of a 48 " seam.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #5

another pic
Attached Thumbnails
Recessed Cans fall right in the middle of my drywall seam... What do i do??-file0392.jpg  
Old 03-13-2008, 02:53 PM   #6

I guess i could hang the sheets parallel along the studs, however i want to avoid as many "waves" as i can.
I have already shimmed some of the low studs. Any ideas??
Old 03-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

You CAN ABSOLUTELY have a seam at a recessed light opening. That happens all the time. Same concept as electrical light switches. They always fall in the middle of 4' sheets, placed on the horizontal.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

If you cut the first sheet in half, you'd only end up with 1 extra seam to tape, right?
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
You CAN ABSOLUTELY have a seam at a recessed light opening. That happens all the time.
Really???? I figured someone would tell me that it would make that area much more susceptable to cracking or something like that.

Are there any special instructions i need to know when i get ready to tape and mud that area???
Old 03-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
If you cut the first sheet in half, you'd only end up with 1 extra seam to tape, right?
One side already has to be cut in half because the ceiling width is 148". Im trying to avoid having to cut another sheet
Old 03-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyH View Post
Really???? I figured someone would tell me that it would make that area much more susceptable to cracking or something like that.

Are there any special instructions i need to know when i get ready to tape and mud that area???
Normally, we install strapping 16" OC, over the underside of the joists. That allows the placement of the additonal strapping lengths (which serve as a screwing surface), closer to the recessed can's lip.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Normally, we install strapping 16" OC, over the underside of the joists. That allows the placement of the additonal strapping lengths (which serve as a screwing surface), closer to the recessed can's lip.

Well... Do u think ill be okay if my recessed light cut out have to be made in the middle of my tapered edges??
Old 03-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #13

When you attach your sheet. Router, or cut out the light opening. Then place a 12" length of strapping near the light. Hold it, so that it is 1/2 on the attached sheet, and 1/2, protruding out. It will be perpendicular to the attached sheet, and right next to the light's lip. Hold it tightly, and install about 3 to 4 dryall screws into the sheet (and thru the strapping behind it) to attach them solidly together.

Do this on one side of the light. Then attach another 12" length on the other side of the light. The strapping should be firmly attached.
When you install the next sheet, you will cut out the light openings, and install screws thru the edge of the next sheet and into the strapping that is attached to the other sheet. That will lock the floating edge seam together.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-13-2008 at 03:37 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #14

Quote:
When you attach your sheet. Router, or cut out the light opening. Then place a 12" length of strapping near the light. Hold it, so that it is 1/2 on the attached sheet, and 1/2, protruding out. It will be perpendicular to the attached sheet, and right next the the light's lip. Hold it tightly, and install about 3 dryall screws into the sheet to attach it solidly to the it.

Do this on one side of the light. Then attach another 12" length on the other side of the light. The strapping should be firmly attached.
When you install the next sheet, you will cut out the light openings, and install screws thru the edge of the next sheet and into the strapping that is attached to the other sheet. That will lock the floating edge seam together.
Gotcha, thanks !!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #15

Now that i imagine it. The way i have position the lights to make it even, i will only be able to put one peice of strapping. Not all the lights are perfectly center in the studs. I had to adjust a few of them. The seam is going to go DIRECTLY through the middle of the light opening.

Advertisement