Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Rebuild concrete steps leading to basement

The situation: There is a door that exits the basement of our house. After the door opens there is a small 3x3 landing and 3 steps that head upwards and exit onto the yard. There is a drain in the landing at the bottom of the steps just outside the door (it looks to be filled with gravel). The steps are borderd by a box of cynderblocks that are covered with cement. The steps are made of cynderblocks covered with cement as well.

The problem: The yard gets a lot of shade and there is mold and moss all over the steps. The concrete on the steps is breaking apart revealing the cynderblocks which are facing upwards so that stuff is falling in the open parts of the blocks. The landing/floor where you step when you walk out the basement door is also covered in moss and mold and looks very pitted.

It would be easy to break apart the old concrete and put down some quickcrete but I dont want to cause more of a problem. I think the first step is to rent a powerwasher and clean it up but Im not sure what I should do after that. Any suggestions?

gruntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,086

First - Cleaning the mess will give you a chance to see what you are facing.

The block can easily be capped with 2" (1 5/8" actual) or 4" (3 5/8" actual) high solid units mortared in place.

It sounds like a general drainage problem with a drain in the lower landing. You should find out if there is a pipe in the drain for drainage or just a rock/gravel bed.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #3

Thats a great idea. Is this something you can get at a place like home depot or is it more specialized? And is there something that can be done about the moss beside pressure washing?

I have dug a little bit and I think it is just gravel. The drain hole has a small metal grate over the top of it. It looks like the edges where the grate sits are crumbling apart.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntman View Post
Thats a great idea. Is this something you can get at a place like home depot or is it more specialized? And is there something that can be done about the moss beside pressure washing?

I have dug a little bit and I think it is just gravel. The drain hole has a small metal grate over the top of it. It looks like the edges where the grate sits are crumbling apart.
Instead of pressure washing, which could/would blow out all the concrete, you can buy a gallon of deck cleaner and spray it on. Then, just a brush and scrub. Then, hose off.

Bleach, water, and detergent combo would work also.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:37 PM   #5

Im going to get a picture of it, but the person who tried to repair this before me tried to create a cap over the cinderblocks that box in the stairs by troweling on the concrete. It looks like they used some type of wooden form but it looks sloppy (has a nail sticking in it). I suppose that could be broken up and a new solid cap could be placed over it? is that the idea?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,086

gruntma -

Tat is way it sould have been built AND the way it should have been repaired.

just a tip - do not make the cap dead flat. Give it a very slight slope to shed water and possibly oversize to let the water drip off on the low side.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #7

Here are the pictures of the staircase. I removed some of the cement that was loose and I found cinderblock beneath. It looks like they covered the top of the blocks with cement to make the stairs. I will clean it as recommended. Here are the questions I would like to ask the group:

1) Since the blocks seem to have shifted should I try to fix them (it might mean breaking them up and putting in new ones) or shoud l just mortar a cap in place?
2) Is there a website where I can learn more about how to do this?
Attached Thumbnails
Rebuild concrete steps leading to basement-img_4606_1.jpg  

Last edited by gruntman; 09-25-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:00 PM   #8

This is what I have done so far. Once I started knocking off the old concrete I was committed. Ran into a patch of quickcrete or something similar but just worked on it for a while with a masons chisel and hammer.

1) Should I just cap the hole thing off with standard 2 inch high caps from HD or cap the front with the standard caps (because it is a step) but use more decorative caps with a rough face on one side (like you might use to cap off a wall) for the sides. If this will look stupid please let me know.

2) Should I install a one-piece slab for the stairs?

3) once I finish the job shoud I cover the cinders with some type of sealant to prevent moisture from seeping into that space?

Thanks fof the tips.
Attached Thumbnails
Rebuild concrete steps leading to basement-img_4615.jpg  

Last edited by gruntman; 09-25-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #9

I have reached a point where I have to make a decision on the steps. They are made of cinder blocks and are not the same size. The have shifted over the years. Do I remove them with a sledge hammer and start over? What would you cover the steps with? (I live in the NE where it snows alot).
Old 06-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntman View Post
I have reached a point where I have to make a decision on the steps. They are made of cinder blocks and are not the same size. The have shifted over the years. Do I remove them with a sledge hammer and start over? What would you cover the steps with? (I live in the NE where it snows alot).
I think you can keep the foundation supports, but may want to insert rebar and pour concrete inside the holes. Once that is done, you can put slate over it as trim. If you don't like the look of the cinderblocks, you can use retaining wall blocks.

For the steps themselves, I would make a mold for the stairs, insert rebar, pour concrete, and then put slate over it.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Bluestone slabs make very effective and attractive step surfaces.
Attached Thumbnails
Rebuild concrete steps leading to basement-step-20bluestone-20with-20brick.jpg  
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #12

OK -those steps are great. I just repointed my front porch and it came out nothing like that.

Here are some pictures of the steps. I think these really show the problem. The cinder blocks are not level and I think if I pulled really hard they would come out. The flat parts of the cinder blocks (where you step) are not even the same size on the same step. The last guy who repaired this just laid out a bunch of concrete on top of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Rebuild concrete steps leading to basement-img_5586.jpg   Rebuild concrete steps leading to basement-img_5591.jpg   Rebuild concrete steps leading to basement-img_5585.jpg  
Old 06-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #13
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Now that you're this far, just knock those 12 blocks (and whatever's under them) outta there, simply put up two form boards,and just pour two new steps.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #14

Never built steps before but I'll give it a try. I'll try top find a DIY thread on building forms.

Last edited by gruntman; 06-06-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,132

Once you're done, you might be able to prevent the moss from building-up again by thinning the canopy of the trees shading the steps.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote