Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #1

Share |

rebar in post hole concrete?

I'm building a 36' x 40' pole barn. No where does it show in the plans that the concrete for the posts needs rebar. Do they not need it? The concrete pour is 24" diameter x 30" for each hole.

Thanks for your input!

GeneralTJWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Tileguy

Not real sure why you would need it in a pole hole. We never used any.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #3

Ok. Just checking. I've never seen concrete poured without rebar....but then, I've never built a pole barn before. ;-)

Thanks!
GeneralTJWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:39 AM   #4
JOATMON

General....if you want some good info on pole barns....go have a look at Garage Journal......lots of guys there have done pole barns....it might be the source of info you need.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #5

I have used rebarr in them to make them sturdier, but it's pretty overkill. I did it because I was worried about the ground getting soft, so I used a hammer drill and drove 4 10 foot piecs 3/8 rebarr into the bottoms of the holes angled out and then bent them together straight up the center and poured the crete around that.

As for reinforcing the concrete itself no worries it is great plenty strong enough. If you have a really wet area where the soil get mucky two or three feet deep you might consider the rebarr to make the piers more stable. Driving the ten foot rebarr's seven feet in at a 45deg angle into the bottom of the hole and bunching them together in the center will keep a building standing in the worst of sloppy soil.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote