Rebar For Monolithic Slabs - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
DSS

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Rebar for Monolithic Slabs

Does anyone have any diagrams, photos or descriptions on how to run the rebar for the turndown on a monolitic slab? My steel building plans call for wire mesh in the upper 1/3 of my 4 inch slab, and 2 continuous rebar running the lenght of the bottom of the footer with a min of 1' overlap, but for the rebar in the turn down the plans states "rebar plans by others". I had planned on bending rebar to reinforce the turndown and had planned on overlapping the turned rebar by a foot with the wire mesh, but what spacing do I use between the turned rebar and how far down the 18" turndown does the rebar need to go. I remember seeing a photo or diagram of how to do this, but I cannot seem to find the photo or diagram. Any assistance would be appreciated. The footer is 16" wide and 18" turndown, which includes the 4" top of slab.

Advertisement

portert0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Rebar for Monolithic Slabs

Slabs are usually designed by an engineer...hence the statement 'rebar plan by others'

Generally I use #4 @ 24" o.c. as opposed to wiremesh, the turn down rebar is bent at 90 run to the bottom of the footing with a hook on it and the bottom bars are placed in the hook.

Lap splices must be a minimum of 40 bar diameters...the 1' splice will not pass code, 20" min. I recommend 24" to be safe

Consult your building department as to what they are looking for

Advertisement