Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Rebar in Electrical Conduit!!

HELP!!

Somehow during the pouring of the concrete, 1/2" rebar worked its way right through the middle of my 1" PVC electrical feeder conduit. It's about 2' into the slab.

Anyone have any clever ideas how to cut/remove the rebar without busting the concrete and creating a patch job?

DIYDaddy? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
retired

When you say 2' into the slab do you mean it's about 2' from the open end of the conduit? Which way is the rebar sticking into the conduit, crosswise? If so you could maybe run a hole saw on a couple of extension bits and saw it off that way. Wrap something around the hole saw to keep the teeth away from the pvc. However, even if you can do that you run the risk of having sharp edges of the rebar inside the conduit which could rip the insulation of the wire as you pull it through. You also increase the risk of moisture entering the conduit through the break which is not good. I think you should play it safe and break out the slab and fix it correctly.

dmaceld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #3

Yes, it's about 2' from the open end. And yes, it's right through the middle just like the shape of a regular screw for an electrical faceplate. Moisture shouldn't enter the pipe if it's well within the slab i.e., not near the bottom nor exterior sides? At least not very much right? I can pull the wire from the other end - that way I can check to see if it was damaged during the pull. I also have access to a bore scope - it's how I know where the rebar is - I could use it during the pull and after to ensure no damage of the wires. Busting up the concrete will be really bad as the structure is already built.

What a mess!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYDaddy? View Post
Moisture shouldn't enter the pipe if it's well within the slab i.e., not near the bottom nor exterior sides? At least not very much right?
Problem is, there are no guarantees, either that it will get wet, or that it will stay dry. At the very least consider using wire with insulation rated for use in damp locations. If there is any significant length of the conduit run exposed outside, you will probably get moisture in it anyway simply due the cooling/heating of the exposed conduit sucking in moisture from the air.
dmaceld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #5

I'm going to give a 7/8" hole saw with flexible extensions a try. If it doesn't work, I'll have to run a new feeder above ground - bummer!!

Thanks for the hole saw idea

Wish me luck....
Old 07-06-2007, 10:54 PM   #6

Quote:
At the very least consider using wire with insulation rated for use in damp locations.
I would consider this a wet install anyway, even if you replaced the conduit with a new one. I don't know what code is, but I would use THWN in any buried install, regardless of whether it's buried in concrete or dirt. The conduit WILL eventually fill with water, either by leak or by condensation.

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote