Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
retaining wall project

Share |

# of rebar in cinder block wall

I'm checking for info and would like to know the standard for a 6x64' cinder block wall on clay flat ground, as an open space divider between properties. This would be in Cali, not in an earthquake zone. I've seen three different standards, and would like to know which would be best for the wall.

1a) One 8'x5/8" rebar for every 4 feet (3rd block), i.e. 22 rebar, filling only the blocks with the rebar. This has been the most common response;

b) One rebar for each cinder block on foundation, i.e. 48 rebar, filling only the holes with the rebar;

c) One rebar every 4 feet, plus horizontal rebar on every 2nd row. This also comes out to 48 rebar.

2) Would additional rebar be used in the foundation and how much.

3) I've seen suggestions to either leave the non concrete holes open, or to fill them with concrete or dirt. My preference would be for compacted dirt, rounding the top with concrete, and sealing the wall with surface bonding cement.

johnlvs2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #2

Sounds like an engineer should be consulted. Good luck. j

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Check with the local code office.

Because masonry privacy walls are so common in CA, they may have some standard plans for the area (based on local wind and seismic conditions). These are usually free and they will always help with permits if an inspection is required, since inspections are usually a money loser for the county/city.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

There's a California company called RCP Block, and they post standard engineered construction details for CMU wall fences for low and high seismic zones (with a list of zip codes as to which area is which) on their website, all good for 2007 California Building Code.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aggie67 For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (08-08-2010)