Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,202

Reasons for stained fresh concrete

anyone have ideas why ? after finishing, the pour was covered w/new plastic,,, this part was on the down slope so i'm thinking it was runoff from the turning pad on top,,,the sharpness of the stain puzzles me, tho,,, told our customer we'd o'lay it from top of the repair to the st & he's happy,,, i'm still perplexed, tho know what the plastic ' tracks ' are - its the triangle that's got my stumped

TNX IN ADV - knew i shouldn't have left the guys on their own
Attached Thumbnails
Reasons for stained fresh concrete-moyer-e.jpg   Reasons for stained fresh concrete-moyer-g.jpg  

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,032

That's an intersting puzzle piece IRC...............

Did you pour this, or are you strictly repairing?

It looks to me like something other than plastic sheeting may have been layed over that triangle section??????????

Maybe a heavier trp or something??

Those marks are exactly why I hate pouring with a chance of rain. Slabs covered by plastic usually cure out lokking terrible.

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,202

its all ours

when we ( they ) started about 1000 w/demo, no rain predicted,,, later on, that changed, of course,,, we always have a roll of new 6mm onsite ( this ain't our 1st rodeo ),,, according to owner & foreman, very little got sprinkled prior to covering it up & shoveling the edges.

you can see the mottled parts where the wtr would've put pressure on the broom'd surface & its possible they hurried because of weather, too.

damn'd if i know, jo,,, we didn't have any other tarps/6mm onsite & 1 roll was sufficient to cover the whole job,,, all i can think of is wtr runoff from the top section but that's a damn'd straight drip line on either side,,, guess we'll just o'lay it & wonder,,, have the crete rep coming out - perhaps he's seen it before but i doubt it.

so much for batting 1,000
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,032

Sorry to hear that IRC.

I can promise you I've been there and struggled through the marks left by poly as well. I hate leaving the stuff on fresh crete for any amount of time especially overnight. I've chased around the perfect way to blend this stuff in, and admit I never found it.

As for the triangle in the center, I just have a hard time buying the fact that the water ran in such symetrical lines. I'd start looking at how the sun hits the slab at whatever time of day that the slab may have been covered. It's been explained to me before that the poly sheeting can emit/leach out some kind of "oil" (that's used in it's production) when the sun beats down on it.

Not sure by any means, but it may help you sleep at night...........
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote