DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Real Stone Facing Dilemma

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jomama45 
#1 ·
Greetings all,

I plan to face my front shed wall with real stone about half way up the wall to match my house.

Here are the specifics of the materials:
-- I have foundation footer already in place
-- Wall is currently plywood with roofing paper over it (portion of wall to be faced with stone is 12 x 4)
-- Stone is uncut (various shapes) about 3 to 4 inches thick (heavy)

My Dilemma ==>
Should I create scratch coat (with mesh) against shed wall and mortar stone TO the scratch coat. Or should I leave 1/2 inch gap BETWEEN wall and stone and use brick ties to tie stone to wall??

I see conflicting info out there. I see some that say to use a scratch coat, but at the same time they mention a weeping system. How can you have a gap for a weeping system if you're mortaring stone to the wall?

Any help is appreciated.

See less See more
#6 ·
I'll let the concrete guys handle that question. They have the experience.
Any reason you couldn't use the scratch coat with the brick ties?

#7 ·
As long as you've left enough slab for the stone to bear on, I'd certainly suggest laying the stone as a full veneer, with air space, wall ties, and flashing & weeps near the base. 3-4" material is generally far too heavy to adhere to lightweight wood construction, and the cavity detail to a full veneer is far superior anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.