DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ready mix filler - is it up to the job???

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  AtlanticWBConst. 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my first post here, so 'Hi' everyone! :)

I’m looking to install a new kitchen in my flat in the near future. It’s the first major DIY project I’ve taken on board, so really I want to equip myself with a bit of sound advice from somebody who actually knows what they're doing to save myself from making any silly blunders later down the line!

The concern I have is with a kitchen wall cabinet, or more specifically the wall into which it will be hung. The problem being, the previous cabinet fell down, taking a nice chunk of plaster with it around each of the wall anchors. I’ve since filled the holes with some Unibond ready mix wall filler, which on the packet states that it is so strong that you can plug it, nail it and screw it – which is all well and good, but I’m wondering... all considered, will it be strong enough to hold a double wall cabinet securely?

The other thing was: I put quite a lot of filler into the holes - I packed them solid, about an inch or so deep – so the once hollow wall isn’t so hollow anymore. I’d imagine the filler would probably be stronger than the plasterboard itself, but I’m wondering just how much strength it’s going to have being supported on all sides by plasterboard – if you see what I mean. So the question is: should I treat it as a solid wall now instead; if so, what would be the best method to secure it? Or, is there a better way to go about fastening the unit to the wall?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the response guys.

That would make a lot of sense. My only reservation is that I don't own the property, I rent it; so I wanted, if possible, to stick with the way the previous kitchen was installed (all units are in exactly the same place with the same dimensions etc), to minimize cost and workload. When you say "anchors attached into framing members", do you mean attaching the cabinets directly to a piece of pre-installed wood placed under the stud wall? That sounds like a bit job! I'd have to take down the whole section of wall behind each cabinet, right? I'm not sure I'm experienced enough to try, or have the finances to pay someone to do that. I'm on a very minimal budget.

As far as I can tell there isn't any from the previous installation, but the design, what ever is is, held pretty well - it's a standard kitchen; the same as all the rest in my block. By the looks of things, the kitchen was held on the wall by some heavy weight wall anchors.

Short of taking down walls etc, is there not an easier way to get around this problem? :(

#5 · (Edited)
Try Googling for How to install kitchen cabinets and you'll cough up a plethora of step by step informaton which may explain this process a little better. The jist of it is, you'll have to locate the studs behind the plaster wall, predrill your cabinets in the corresponding location and use a 2 1/2" decking screw to secure the cabinet to the wall. The screw is actually penetrating the plaster and embedding itself into the stud. This is a non-invasive method and doesn't require any demolition or additional construction to perform. The tricky part is getting the cabinets to be level and plumb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.