Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Re-using laminate

Retail setting: a fixture that has a plywood base covered with laminate. Someone ripped off the laminate, leaving the plywood looking like the surface of the moon. One of our highly skilled technicians (lol) put a new piece of laminate, attempting to attach with contact cement. He used it INCREDIBLY sparingly....just four 6" strips of cement in 14' of laminate. Needless to say, the laminate has popped off. Here's the question; the laminate is 14' X 20"....I've scraped and sanded the jagged plywood off. Can I reattach the laminate using some sort of adhesive, not contact cement? According to the boss, I have to use the existing laminate. Everywhere I've called, no sheet laminate is available.

wingman1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,870

Re-using laminate

Why not use contact cement? Properly applied it is the best product for the job---

No solvent based glue will dry under the air tight laminate--two part epoxy might--but keeping tha laminate flat while it sets might be a challenge----

Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Re-using laminate

You want to get the adhesive off the laminate surface too before you try to reuse it. Fill any gaps or gouges in the plywood base. Then, as suggested, contact cement is your best bet applied to both surfaces of course. Then roll the laminate in contact with the substrate surface.

You really could not find sheets of laminate? Sounds weird to me! Were you just calling box stores or real building supply places? A building supply place should have some in popular colors and surfaces. Otherwise they will order one of the 898,000,000 variations of Formica alone in different thickness sheets for you.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Re-using laminate

Sounds like you have some serious gaps in your training program. Your "Boss" should expect this type of thing, letting a Noob do Laminate.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #5

Re-using laminate

I'm thinking contact cement would not make a good bond because of the gouging and general uneveness of the plywood. The laminate will not make solid contact with the wood.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 508

Re-using laminate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman1153 View Post
I'm thinking contact cement would not make a good bond because of the gouging and general uneveness of the plywood. The laminate will not make solid contact with the wood.
And, you would be correct!
Laminate is meant to be installed one time, on a perfectly flat surface with contact cement.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #7

Re-using laminate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
And, you would be correct!
Laminate is meant to be installed one time, on a perfectly flat surface with contact cement.

So, considering the uneven nature of the wood, and the face CC has been used before, what options do I have?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,870

Re-using laminate

Smooth out the surface----use a wood filler like Durhams water putty and sand it until it is flat.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 518

Re-using laminate

Ive seen tons of sheet vinyl at Lowes, Home Depot, Surplus Warehouse, local flooring suppliers, ive never seen a home supply store that carried flooring and didnt carry the sheet vinyl. If you have to use the old stuff, use wood filler and a sander to make the plywood flat, remove the glue residue from the sheet, and reapply using the correct amount of contact cement.
Or you could talk your boss into letting you replace the plywood with a new sheet, and get some discounted sheet vinyl and do it that way. Probably be easier.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,132

Re-using laminate

How much is your boss willing to spend on this? Sheet laminate is not that expensive, versus your time and wages to try reusing what you have. Trailer's suggestion seems like a good one as well. Vinyl flooring is easier to install than laminate, and may be cheaper.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
Willie T (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re-using laminate

Although you should wash down the back side of the laminate with something like lacquer thinner to knock the clumps down, (It takes a lot of rags to get the gunk off there.), don't be too concerned with with the amount left on there. The solvents in the new contact cement will reactivate that old stuff, grabbing a hold of it quite effectively. In fact, I seldom do laminate with just one coat. I let the first coat dry well, and reapply a second coat. My stuff is thinned down to a pretty liquid and smoothly flowing consistency.

If you are applying this to a horizontal surface like a countertop, you do know that a long extension cord (the round orange kind) is the fastest and easiest way of laying down a continuous separator to keep the tacky surfaces apart until YOU want them to touch. Just wind or "loop" the cord back and forth and back and forth from one end to the other of the 14'... about 6"-8" apart... Set the laminate on the cord... then, progressively begin pulling the cord out from one end as you guide and firmly press the laminate down into the correct location.

A lot of guys use dozens of little sticks. That's a hassle and a waste of time and material.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-30-2013)