Re-use Flooded Ceiling Fan? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

re-use flooded ceiling fan?

Hey all,

We recently had a washer overflow. Water went through the floor and mostly poured out the ceiling fan hole - over the ceiling fan. It was turned on - as was the light. The fan was spinning around, spraying water everywhere. The bulb bowl, about 2X the size of a dinner bowl - was completely full of water and overflowing. The still-lit two lightbulbs were blazing away. It was probably like this for 20-40 minutes - effectively submerged on the ceiling.

I killed the power. ServPro did the dryout. This fan still works perfectly. You cannot see any damage. I removed it for the drywall work. But upon inspection - you'd never know. It's perfect.

Yet it's what might lurk inside that scares me. So - knowing that it works fine - should I replace it to be safe? Or are they of the nature where they can take water and dry out?

Of course - common sense tells me to trash it. I'm just looking for the opposite opinion if it exists.

Thanks.

Advertisement

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Okay, here's the opposite opinion, keep it.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If you dried out and tested the sockets for the bulbs and you see no lingering signs of corrosion? And if you are confident the motor windings did not take on so much they will continue to function? It sound like the insulation around the wiring and the wire nuts worked out well. I do not know that you need to race to replace the thing. Personally, I would check all the wire connections and cap them with some new wire nuts though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #4

How much did this fan cost?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

My furnace was located in my attached garage. We had flooding from the river that immersed it entirely.
The flooding occurred in the spring and the furnace wasn't required until the fall, so it had ample opportunity to dry out.
When fall came, I turned it on and it worked well. used it for twenty more years.
The main problem with immersed motors is that grit can be carried into the bearing surfaces and ruin the bearings.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

I had a similar situation happen while re-roofing a place I lived where I had a horrible leak/turned-flood when a ceiling tarp leaked. I had water flowing in through a few places and filling up the fan's ceiling-mount basket. That was back in January of this year. I removed the fan after this event and let it air dry. I checked the ends of the wiring before re-hanging it, and here I am 10 months later and it still works fine.

As long as there wasn't crud introduced (and it was just water), most motors will survive.

Advertisement

dayid is offline   Reply With Quote