Re-Tile Porch That Was Destroyed After Ice - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Re-Tile Porch that was destroyed after ice

After our latest ice storm, the broken slate tile on our back stoop was completely loose and the grout completely gone. I have removed about 85% of the tiles by just picking them up with my bare hands. Underneath the tiles appears to be sand in most places but is firmer like weak concrete in other places. used a flat head shovel to clean out the sand and loose debris. The brick steps and brick border around the porch is fine.
Under the sand appears to be solid concrete. I had to "dig" down about 4" to hit the the concrete so now i have a 4" hole in the porch.
I am thinking that I need to pour concrete about 3 1/2 " deep and then set the new tile in the concrete.
I do not know what to use to grout between the tiles.

Does this sound right?

Advertisement

carissajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Quote:
I am thinking that I need to pour concrete about 3 1/2 " deep and then set the new tile in the concrete.
That would be my plan of attack also. Have no idea what the original installer must have had in mind.

To install the slate (again) use an unmodified thinset mortar mixed with a liquid additive. This will give you a thinset mortar more suited for the freeze/thaw conditions in your area. I would suggest locating and using Mapei's Kerabond thinset with Mapei's Keralastic additive.

The grout can be a regular sanded Portland cement grout available anywhere that already contains the necessary additives or you can also use any sandmix mixed with the Keralastic.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #3

ok, so i am going to pour 3 1/2 " of concrete to fill in the depth and then lay the tiles.

Do I pour the concrete and let it set and dry, and then go back the next day adn lay the tiles on the hardened concrete base
Or
Do I set the tiles in teh wet concrete and then go back the next day and grout.

I just don't know whether to let the concrete base harden first or not.

Help??
Old 02-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
Do I pour the concrete and let it set and dry, and then go back the next day adn lay the tiles on the hardened concrete base
Yes. That's the easiest way to do it.

To install the slate (again) use an unmodified thinset mortar mixed with a liquid additive. This will give you a thinset mortar more suited for the freeze/thaw conditions in your area. I would suggest locating and using Mapei's Kerabond thinset with Mapei's Keralastic additive.
carissajames (02-16-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

I've never used unmodified thinset for the exterior tile applications ,i know it's recommended and that guys use it but ...
I do my exterior applications a little bit different and i've never had any problems.
This how i lay natural stone and terrazzo tile in exterior applications.
First i prepare the concrete surface with "milky" 1-1 mixture of Portland cement and water, my kind of bonding adhesive from the old world.
Secondly i use a packed dry mix over the "primed" concrete, 1 part of Portland and 3 parts of sand.
Packed dry mix gives me ability to slope and level the surface on the spot.
Once everything level and prepared using a 1x12 board to walk on i start laying my tile down.
To lay the tile i use a milky consistency again over the dry mix but only one or two rows out.
With a short piece of 2x4 and a rubber mallet i keep my tiles at the same level and pressed down in to the mix.

This stuff will make you spend some money on those SDS bits.
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelToes For This Useful Post:
carissajames (02-16-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #6

Ok, I poured my concrete yesterday -- about 3" thick. How long should I wait until I put down the tile? Should I be keeping it wet in the mean time?

Thank you so much for all your advise.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
Tileguy

You can install the tile anytime after the fill has firmed up. Keeping it wet isn't necessary. Before you begin spreading your thinset you might put a little moisture into the concrete. Just wash/wipe it with a damp sponge or rag.

Advertisement