Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Re-siding house

My house was sided with cedar shingles, than poorly covered with vinyl siding. I have removed all the siding down to the OSB on the front and rear of the house where all the windows and doors are. Can I leave the sides of the house covered in cedar shingles, wrap the house with Tyvek, install 1/2" foam board, than install new vinyl siding on the entire house? The cedar is in excellent shape so I don't see a problem. I've searched previous posts and it seems it's ok to cover existing siding. Can I install Tyvek vertically from the roof down instead of wrapping the house horizontally? All seams will be taped. Since I'm doing it all myself it seems that it would be an easier way to wrap the house and there would be little or no horizontal seams.

jdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,018

Re-siding house

I'm not sure that you can get a perfectly flat surface that would look uniform after putting down your vinyl siding.

Also, you'll be securing the siding nails through foam, through the Tyvek, through the cedar shingles, and onto onto the sheathing, so you will need longer nails, and foam can fail easily with the punctured holes and cause your siding to sag over time. Puncturing the Tyvek with nails kind of defeats the purpose of having Tyvek to a certain degree. How do you plan on securing the foam board onto the shingles?

Last edited by handy man88; 04-09-2007 at 01:24 PM.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Re-siding house

Sure you can do it that way. However I think it would be easier and neater in the long run to do the extra work and take the shingles off. If you have any windows or doors on the side of your house they will be a pain to trim out with the foam board in the way. It will be hard to get the foam to lay flat and you will probably have to use long screws to fasten the new siding through the foam. Just remember leave the siding so it can move. Vinyl siding can hide a lot of things. If it where me though I do not think I would want to hide things on my own house if I could do it a better way. I feel your pain though. taking ceder siding off is not a fun job. And both ways will work it is just up to you on how you want to do it.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Re-siding house

Thanks for the responses. I have no windows on the sides so installing the insulation boards shouldn't be a problem. I was going to attach them using the same 2 1/2" galvanized roofing nails I was going to use for the siding. I'm not trying to cheap out on the project but I already filled a 30 yard dumpster with cedar and that cost me close to $700. I would need another 20-30 yard for the sides so if I can leave them without any problems it would save me $600-700.
jdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,018

Re-siding house

Are you using the same size nails to install the siding, or will the siding only be attached to the foam board with smaller nails? Also, does nailing so many holes into the Tyvek bother you. Most seams and nails are usually protected with Tyvek tape.

I think installing Tyvek under the foam board may be pointless. Any moisture leaving the house will be trapped by the foam board and you could get condensation, and any moisture/wind coming in will be deflected by the foam board, which is an insulator. The foam may prevent the house from breathing, which is the purpose of Tyvek.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Re-siding house

As mentioned already, If you leave the shingle siding up and go over it, especially with the added thickness layer of foam board, you will run into issues with trim work depths not meeting up properly around your windows and the rakes of your roof....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote