Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Re-siding 20 year old house..

Hello all, I hope I am asking this in the right spot, as it's my first post and I'm not too familiar with this site. I tried doing a search on here, but I came up empty handed... Here is my question.

This spring I am going to reside my house. It is 18 years old, and currently has yellow vinyl siding on it. My wife and I don't like the color, so we are just going to replace it. I peeked under a piece of siding today, and there is pink insulation board under it. I don't know how thick it is yet. I'm assuming there is a vapor or moisture barrier (which one would it be?) underneath that pink board, and then OSB sheathing underneath that. My question is, when I take off the old siding, do I have to worry about all the nail holes from the old siding that are now in the pink insulation board, and the barrier behind that? If so, what would I do to correct this problem? Could I just use a house wrap over the pink board? Hopefully some of you can enlighten me and make our spring project a bit easier. I will be back tomorrow with some pictures of what I can see right now without any demo, and then I will be posting pictures and questions during my project. Hopefully some of you can help me out along the way

Question 2 - Does the new siding have to be nailed to studs, or anywhere, since there is OSB sheathing on the house?

Thanks in advance!

BTW - I live in WI if that matters at all for house wraps and insulation and such....

Last edited by casper129; 03-14-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added Pictures.
casper129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #2

The siding should be nailed into the studs.
I wouldn't worry about the holes, but I would remove some sections of the foam to inspect the condition of the sheathing.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
tycobb (03-13-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #3

Alright, the only thing that I'm concerned about is the rain water that gets behind the siding.. Some threads I read say that it needs to be sealed perfectly for the rainwater to travel down it.

And secondly, if the siding needs to be nailed to the stud, how am I supposed to find a stud when there's the pink insulation over the OSB, which is then over the stud...?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #4

Use a stud finder with a deep scan feature and you shouldn't have any problem finding the studs.
highcountrywnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #5

^ Ok, sounds simple enough for me.

Another question, can I re-use my original starter strip after removing the present siding by just leaving it in place?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper129 View Post
^ Ok, sounds simple enough for me.

Another question, can I re-use my original starter strip after removing the present siding by just leaving it in place?
As long as it's not damaged.
Theoretically this siding was nailed into the studs. Use a marker to take note of the current nail locations and verify they're is studs.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #7

Ok, now on to some trimming out questions. This past summer I had replacement windows installed. After looking at the trim around the windows yesterday, and what I've found on this website and online, I should have J channel all the way around the window. This picture shows the right side J channel around the window, with the (?) weeper holes (?)

And this shows the bottom of the window. The builders of the house installed utility trim there.. So, should I use J channel when I put on new siding? Will J channel even work with that window?

This is the top of the window. They just installed a drip cap here. I am lost as to what to do here. I think put J channel, and just cut the siding super thin to install it up there? Do I need to put drip cap back on there? How do I go about fixing this part.

Here is my patio door (not yet replaced) This is how they did the top of the patio door.

I'm assuming just take the utility trim out of there, and actually cut the siding to that size and install it above there right?

And do I need to replace these? If so, what are they even called? (Vinyl over foundation)

Thanks again for the great help guys.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #8

Also, does drip cap get caulked anywhere? And from the pictures, it looks like it's just shoved up under the J channel for the soffit.. is that correct?