Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Re-Sealing HardiPlank Gaps

Hello All, I am new to DIYChatroom. I really like your replies to questions, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Question: I live in Oregon. My home is now 7 years old and winter is on it's way. I have started to see the gaps between the hardiplank for a year now. I would like to reseal them.

Do I need to remove the old sealant before re-caulking the gaps or will the old sealant adhere to the new sealant??

Giddygogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #2

It is recommended that all cement siding be installed with a gap of about 1/8". There is a reason for this. The material actually expands and contract through the seasons... Some body along the history of siding decided it would be nice to "fill in the gap"... well, you are asking for unwanted trouble as a home owner who would be required to upkeep the house.

Consider to remove all of the caulking between the siding boards. Check for flashing behind the (butt) joints of the boards, so you will have proper weather proofing. Once the caulking has been cleanly removed, you wouldn't have to stare are such eyesore any longer...

If you choose to caulk between the joints, you just have to know that you will be required to upkeep (i.e. hire a professional/reputable painter) every 8 to 10 years or so....

oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #3

Question

Oodssoo,

Thank you for your reply. That is not what I was expecting to hear. I have not checked the joints for flashing yet. However, the joints were sealed and painted when we bought the house.

Our goal was a repaint before the end of the summer, on a 7 year old house, because the house looks dull and the gaps are quite noticeable now.

It seems that because the gaps where filled, we are already requiring a possible repaint, which is what we were preparing to do.

1. If the house has flashing and as such, repainting is not required, is there anything else we can do to make the dull paint and trim look fresher? How long should we wait before repainting the hardiplank siding?
Giddygogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddygogal View Post
Oodssoo,

Thank you for your reply. That is not what I was expecting to hear. I have not checked the joints for flashing yet. However, the joints were sealed and painted when we bought the house.

Our goal was a repaint before the end of the summer, on a 7 year old house, because the house looks dull and the gaps are quite noticeable now.

It seems that because the gaps where filled, we are already requiring a possible repaint, which is what we were preparing to do.

1. If the house has flashing and as such, repainting is not required, is there anything else we can do to make the dull paint and trim look fresher? How long should we wait before repainting the hardiplank siding?
No problem.

There are a lot of people that have caulked siding joints across the country. Though this is "against the rule" - sort of speak, you could leave it alone and it won't be detrimental to the integrity of your home.

It is an estimation only that exterior paint should look "new" up to about 8 years. If you use a higher quality paint, it should last longer and keep its fresh look longer.

Lastly, pressure washing is really your last resort to clean off those debris that makes your siding "dull".

Given the age of the house, you should begin searching for a quality painter on your area. And getting the professionals to walk you around the house will educate you as the home owner.

Hope all this helps.

Last edited by oodssoo; 09-17-2012 at 09:05 PM.
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

1. Go to the James Hardie Website here: http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...ructions.shtml

2. Find your James Hardie product.
3. Find your Region (installation information).
4. Review the installation instructions regarding caulking of their product.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote