DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

? RE:Replacing exterior brick with LP lap siding on a poured concrete foundation

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Greg D 
#1 ·
As the title indicates - my house has a poured concrete foundation with a brick ledge and the first story on the front is brick; the rest of the house is sided with painted cedar shakes, which are not in the best of shape either. I want to remove the brick and the cedar shakes in the front and replace it all with LP lap siding. The problem is somewhat twofold - there is one section in the front of my house in which the brick starts at ground level and due to the fact that my house sits at the end of a cul-de-sac and approximately 6-8' below street level, there has been a time or two (in the last 1 1/2 years) that during hard rains that water has risen up to the second row of bricks. LP recommends installing their siding at least six inches from ground level. As a solution - I was thinking of removing the brick and pouring an approximately ten inch high section of concrete on top of the current foundation's brick ledge, in order to create enough ground clearance for the siding and still have enough height to increase the grade away from the house. Is there any reason why this would not be a good solution or does someone have a better idea?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Greg~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.