Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
DIYer

Share |

Re-leveling floor from settled foundation

Hi all

I purchased a cheap fixer recently that has a 50ft concrete foundation wall that has settled over time and has brought the floor visibly out of level. It is a load bearing exterior foundation wall with joists running perpendicular.
I've priced out foundation replacement and it's not in the budget unfortunately. The most cost effective option would be keeping the foundation wall but jacking up that one side of the house then putting in longer studs. There is a 6.5' basement so there is lots of good access and room to work

In my head this sounds feasible for an experienced DIYer but I'm curious what you guys think. Recommendations on powerful house jacks would be appreciated as well

Last edited by dwoloz; 03-19-2012 at 12:53 PM.
dwoloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #2

Hire a company like these people http://www.robbinsfoundationsystems.com/
I am sure there is company like theirs in your area. or they can direct you to a company that can help you out.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #3

"...that one side of the house then putting in longer studs." And why is it not feasible to "fill the gap" somehow between the foundation and house? Once you get the wood up, couldn't one frame in temporary form boards and pour in concrete, or is that what you are using the "longer studs" for; a short, tapered wall? Maybe I'm just not seeing things; happens all the time. And as Nail said, this may be a proper time to hire someone w/ the equipment and (hopefully) knowledge to get the house up, then you do the fill in part.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

If you replace the short studs with longer studs, but keep the foundation wall the way it is, what guarantee is there that the wall will not continue settling, and you will have the same problem again in a few years?
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
DIYer

I could fill the gap with new concrete actually. Might be easier (even though I'm not much for concrete). How I was thinking, the sill plate would be removed then reapplied.

Of course, there is zero guarantee to anything that any of us knuckleheads do. However, this house is 90 years old and has had neglected drainage issues. My guess is that its done the settling its going to do and if the drainage issues are addressed, additional settling is unlikely
dwoloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #6

90 yrs old? Yes, probably settled what it will, as it will be gone "shortly" (surely less than another 90 yrs), esp if you address drainage. A cheap, fairly durable fix sounds in order.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote