Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Re-flooring an Attic Bedroom

I just purchased an older farmhouse with a finished attic space (drywall, old flooring, etc). I want to make this attic suitable for my daughters to have rooms up there and the flooring needs work. It has 1" x 4" boards nailed down to joists and really no subfloor to speak of. I am new to home renovation but to keep costs down I would like to do the work myself. I really feel like the boards ought to be pulled up and some kind of subflooring put in then a new flooring laid over that. I need to duct the room for heat as well. Any recommendations on the flooring? Should I take the boards up and put in a subfloor or try to put new flooring over the existing flooring?

gsgraber92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I would leave the existing floor and cover it with 1/2" ply. Pulling up the old floor could weaken the floor joists.

II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

What kind of flooring will you be installing as the finished flooring? How far apart are the floor joists? Is the floor currently bouncy? How long are the floor joists carrying weight? These are all questions that need to be answered. It sounds like this room was attic space and never intended to be living space. The joists might not be structurally what they need to be, not necessarily for safety, but for deflection. New flooring has requirements for deflection and uneveness. Are the 1x4 boards relatively even or are they different thicknesses? Are they 3x4 or really 1x5 or 5x4. 1/2 plywood would be the very least to go with. You might need 5/8 or even 3/4. If the boards are too uneven you may have to remove some and replace them or plane them down a little before you plywood.

Josh Jaros (Jaros Bros. Construction)
jaros bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

We were originally thinking carpet, but we found solid oak flooring for a $1 a square foot.
I believe the attic was intended for living because it is the only bedrooms in the original part of the farmhouse. There are only a couple of places where the floor is soft. The joists are 2" x 6" or larger rough cut oak and with out pulling a board up I am guessing on 16". I can only see them in one part of the floor where the joist are exposed but there is insulation stuffed in there and I cannot tell much. I just don't think the existing floor is nice enough to refinish. They have removed a wall and you can see a gap in the boards where the wall was.
My wife just informed me that there were originally three bedrooms up there and they were the only bedrooms in the house. So it was built for living.
gsgraber92 is offline   Reply With Quote